Hyper-clowns: HELP!

stupid_naso

OK, this is my third try with false perculas. The earlier two pairs died of Brooknella. This time I bought tank raised perculas, which are supposed to be hardier. They went into my tank last night, both were breathing rather heavily and stayed still in the corner. Since this behavior is considered normal for newly added fish, I just let them be with lights off until this morning. This morning, they went nuts. They swim up and down, it's like they're on drugs or something. I tried to feed them variety of food, but they don't eat.
Question is, is this behavior normal? They're swimming across the tank back and forth, and do not eat. Please help.
Thanks,
stupid_naso

stacyt

Give them a couple of days to settle. Mine spend most of the day swimming around like you described. I'd be more concerned with getting them to eat. They should start eating within a few days. If not then there maybe something wrong.

stupid_naso

Two days and still not eating. Still swimming like crazy, but not eating. Offered pallettes (sp?) and bloodworms. Got near it but swam away. Lights are turned on around 12 so, they should be ok.
Arghhhhhhh :mad: I am seriously annoyed by this. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Please help... :(
stupid_naso

fshhub

try brine shrimp and garlic
and also call the lfs, and see what they were feeding them there, could be finicky and need to be weened to what you have
if not and they do not eat in another day or 2 see if you can return them, our one lfs(a good one here) will just to try and save them. We had to one time and the 2d pair adapted fine, the first pair did fine too, but elsewhere(unfortunately)

stupid_naso

fshhub,
They fed them pallettes, at least that's what I saw them feeding the clowns. Well I went to a different LFS and got some palletes. It might be a different one because the one I bought is made for larger marine fish, but the LFS said clowns will eat them.
The other LFS that I got my clowns from, don't do returns. They're just bad. I will try brine shrimp.
This behavior kindda worries me. They don't stop. I just realized that when they're sleeping, they're doing the same thing. They dart from one end of the tank to the other. Back and forth, up and down. They look like they're on speed or something. It's freaking me out.
Thanks,
Aditya

stacyt

I have percs in 1 tank, and maroon in another. Neither one ever sit still. They constantly stay on the move, even after the lights go out.

wrassecal

Are they babies? I have 2 little ones and had a hard time getting them to eat. The little one still only eats fine ground flakes.

stupid_naso

Wrassecal,
I think so, yeah because they're relatively small. Very small in fact. Actually today I got some brine shrimp and they ATE. Oh yes they did, they DID. One of them are more than the other but it's ok.
However, I have a question. People have been saying how adding garlic will increase the appetite of the fish. What kind of garlic is it? Because I bought this liquid garlic from the groceries store once, and when I added that my fish hate it. Spit out the food. Can I ask what kind of garlic that you guys use?
I want to add garlic not only to avoid parasites, but also I want my fish to be healthier. If you can let me know what brand, where to get it, and how much, that'll be great.
Thanks again,
Aditya

wrassecal

My smaller clown doesn't eat as much as the bigger one either. but it does eat. I bought the liquid garlic extract at my lfs. I've heard GNC carries some and some people use from grocery store. I don't know why your fish didn't eat it. Maybe you used too much? Add just a drop and let it soak for 20 minues or longer.