hypo ick problem

pferboy

i have had problems with ick in my tank for more than a year. on dec. 2 i pulled all the fish out and put them in my qt tank and lowered the salinty. i took 7 days to lower it to 1.009 and checked the water everyother day. i even took water samples to my lfs to check everything and everthing was going fine. 4 days ago i started to raise the salinty. today it was up to 1.016 and i saw ick on my regal/hippo tang. how and why......... i have been fatting up the fish while they have been in there and using garlic. what is going on. :mad: :mad: :mad:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So, how long where they actually in the 1.009 specific gravity water conditions??
What are you and the store using to measure specific gravity/salinity??

pferboy

the salinty was at or around 1.009 for 23 days. i have 2 swinging arm hygrometers and the lfs used 4 different swinging arms.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the swing arms are so inaccurate for measuring SG and salinity, that I consider them useless even for testing normal SG in your tank...let alone aiming for the precision required for hypo treatment.
A refractometer is the best choice, and it certainly has more applications in the hobby then just using them for Hypo. They are very precise instruments that help you establish the necessary Salinity required for marine animals. I think they are well worth the money for what it does. However, if getting a refract is not in the budget right now, then go with a quality GLASS hydrometer. These work well for hyposalinity purposes.
I've yet to see anyone have success with hypo using swing arms.

bbreaux1

have you seen sucsess with the glass hydrometers? im looking for a refractometer but if these are good enough ill use it instead

N

newreefers

I would say get a refractometer. If you did the whole hypo treatment and your swing arm was off a bit and you only got down to 1.010 or 1.011, then hypo didn't work, and you have to do it all again. It has to 1.009. I would take the water sample to a different lfs that has a refract. I found mine on line for $69.00. when I tested it against my swing arm I was shocked to see how 'off' it was.

pferboy

pretty sure i already know the answer but i will post this question anyway.
what would happen if i tried to keep the sg at 1.008?