HYPO is bad?

vizia2

I was told that hypo is not good, and it will probably kill all the fish. I was told not to do hypo on my fish. Is this true, will it kill my fish, what luck have you had(good and bad) using hypo on fish. Also up until I was told this I was going to QT and HYPO all new fish that will be going in the main tank so I don’t bring any disease in. Is that a good idea, just concerned about killing the fish.
Thanks for any in put

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Who in the world told you that? Likely, someone who doesn't even know what hyposalinity is.
Hypoing all new incoming fish, as long as they are bony fish [not sharks or rays] is an excellent idea. Be sure you have a very accurate salinity measuring tool---like a refractometer.
Tell whoever gave you that bad info to come see us here at SWF.com!
:D

T

thomas712

May I ask just who or whom told you that hyposalinity was bad?
I'm going to let Beth answer this but,
In my opinion that statement just isn't true, because with a reef tank its just not an option, and is a less stressful, efficiant way to go.
THomas

timsedwards

You get people in this hobby who pretend to know what they are tlaking about. The sheer biology of it tells you it is good, ask Terry!
Personally I dont hypo all new fish, I put them in the QT for 3-4 weeks and monitor their behaviour. If I see no signs of ich it is unlikely there is ich (makes sense). However If I do see ich I will hypo it baby yeh!
Hope this helps,
Tim.

737mech

I have personally hypo'd 2 percula clowns and it works! I followed Beth's advice and they are now healthy. You need to follow the procedure using a refractometer. My LFS told me that I would kill the fish too. Maybe they are trying to sell products that don't really work?
Good luck