Hyposalinity And My Skimmer Question

jr1053

Have just completed the third week of a Hyposalinity treatment for an outbreak of Ich in my 110 gallon now FO display tank. Am using an Urchin Pro skimmer in my sump powered by a Mag Drive 5 pump. Salinity has been holding steady at 1.009 with all the fish doing well with no sign of stress or parasites. My skimmer however has produced no waste for three weeks now. I know that hyposalinity reduces bubbling but should skimming stop entirely during Hyposalinity treatment?? Is this a common phenomena that always happens? The pump and the skimmer seem to be operating correctly and I've adjusted the skimmer to maximize waste production as per instructions from Aqua C but still no output at all from my Urchin.
John

T

tizzo

A skimmer's effectiveness will decrease once your salinity has decreased. It is normal, it is not a problem with your skimmer.

otto13

Yup. When you lower the density/salinity of your water, the bubble size will increase from your skimmer. The larger the bubble size, the less effective it becomes.