hyposalinity in main tank?

bunk97

Can you do hyposalinity in your main tank. Will it hurt any of bacteria or anything? Do you think copper or hypo is better for ich? My humahuma trigger is scratching up against the sides of tank and gravel. I do not see any white spots yet. i do have copper in the tank now. I really have'nt had much luck with copper Has anyone heard of letting tank go fallow what is that exactly?
thanks for help
Humahuma

john f

Yes,
you can do hyposalinity in the main tank if you have no inverts.
Since you have a huma-huma my guess is that tank is invert free ;)
I would remove the copper first using carbon for a day or so before I lowered the salinity. Copper and hyposalinity can be used together but it is very tricky and you could kill your fish if you don't have the pH under control.
Of course you may not even have Ich.
That type of scratching COULD be cryptocaryon, but it could also be from gill flukes are amyloodinium. Hypo does not work very well for either of these things.
Try using a flashlight on the fish first thing in the AM. With cryptocaryon this is the best time to see it.
When was your last fish addition?
If it was more than 2 weeks ago chances are it is not amyloodinium either.
This disease kills all fish in the tank very quickly, like the same day you notice symptoms.
If the scratching goes on for a few days and spots are never found and no other fish are affected, you are probably dealing with flukes. These require 3 dips in formalin to cure. If you get to this point check with Ed or Terry and they can tell you what to do.
John

carrie1429

Hypo can be done if you have no live sand, live rock, or inverts because the only thing that can live through hypo or copper are fish, but any bacteria and other organisms will die.

john f

Bacteria will not die.
The nitrogen cycle bacteria will adjust just fine to the hyposalinity. You may see a slight tick up in nitrite but nitrite is not very toxic in saltwater, even in 1/2 strength saltwater.
John

bunk97

Bacteria does not die correct? With hypo or copper use?
thanks for all of you responding so quickly.

diane4

I am doing Hypo in my display tank, removed all my live rock and verts before I went into hypo. Not using copper, so I do't have the hassle of removing it. Some say, it will never leave the tank - will kill Inverts if copper remains.
Hypo is main tank is great because it reduces the stress in the fish by not moving them to a QT tank. In essence I have a QT tank, but I put my rock in it instead.
Good luck to you. I am in my 3rd week of hypo. Fish is doing well.