Hyposalinity questions

scotts2002

I have a 55 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. There is about 3-4 inches of live sand and about 30-40 pounds of live rock in the tank. I have a Fairy Wrasse, a Scopas Tang, a Niger Trigger, A male Blue Throat Trigger, a Damsel and a Snowflake Eel. The Tang has ick and I am not sure how to handle it.
If I use copper, what will it do to the live rock and sand? How will I keep it dosed high enough? Should I remove the eel?
I'd like to use hyposalinity in the tank because it makes the most sense, but should I remove the eel, and what is this going to do to the live rock and sand?

I don't have a QT set up that is large enough for all the fish, so I am forced to use the main tank.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated. :help:
Thanks.

blueangelc

Originally Posted by ScottS2002
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. There is about 3-4 inches of live sand and about 30-40 pounds of live rock in the tank. I have a Fairy Wrasse, a Scopas Tang, a Niger Trigger, A male Blue Throat Trigger, a Damsel and a Snowflake Eel. The Tang has ick and I am not sure how to handle it.
If I use copper, what will it do to the live rock and sand? How will I keep it dosed high enough? Should I remove the eel?
I'd like to use hyposalinity in the tank because it makes the most sense, but should I remove the eel, and what is this going to do to the live rock and sand?

I don't have a QT set up that is large enough for all the fish, so I am forced to use the main tank.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated. :help:
Thanks.

I would not put either copper or use hyposalinity in the main tank the way it is now. Both Copper or Hyposalinity, I believe, will destroy your critters in LR and LS (if used in the main display). I think Copper is also more toxic than Hyposalinity and once you use it, you will have difficult time to have any inverts in the future (hard to get rid of the copper).
Since you are not inclined to treat the fish in QT tank, Is it possible/feasible to move the eel to smaller tank with LR and some LS? (or with LR & LS in rubbermaid?), then treat the main tank with Hypo? Not sure if this option works for you but maybe others can think of better options?!
As for effectiveness, I never use Copper before so I can't comment, but Hypo works for me 100% (make sure you use refractometer though).
G'd Luck!

aw2

Hypo will kill some of the bacteria on the live rock/sand...but not enough to do any harm. You can safely run hypo, in a display tank.
It will, however, kill any inverts so make sure you remove those first.
How big are each of your fish? The stock list you included only has two fish in it that's suitable for a 55gal. tank...the Fairy Wrasse and the Damsel.

scotts2002

The fish are small, about 2-3 inches each.
Do I have to worry about the eel, 6-10 inches, during Hyposalinity?