I admit defeat

flower

The chiller isn't working right. I think it's time to let the 90g go and find a hobby that won't worry me to death on a daily bases....anyone want it, come and get it. You can have EVERYTHING.

snakeblitz33

Flower,

As you told me one time,... pack it up and store it. You never know if you may want to get into the hobby again in the future. Just a suggestion.

I know I sold off all of my stuff that I could. I couldn't give some of it away and I ended up trashing a lot of it. Consider storage... for now.

Does this also mean that you will no longer be on these forums?

flower

Hi,

Not giving up per say... A home isn't a home without a fish tank. I still have the 56g tall that I have in the bedroom. I am no longer able to care for the 90g, it's too much tank for me now. I can't take care of it as it should be. I got the chiller working, but my time and energy is spent.

My dog has developed some kind of Lupus (correct spelling?) disease in his feet, and needs round the clock care for the next 3 months with meds. When he walks his nails break and bleed all over the place. His feet are bandaged up right now and I'm already maxed for time and energy. My sister had a total hip replacement, and I have been her nurse for the last few weeks while she gets better, and is staying with us, and then my elderly mother can't remember much of anything and needs to be watched all the time, so she doesn't try and cook or feed the dogs 10X a day. I can hardly walk because of my own disability, and climbing on a stool to care for the 90g is just too much.

I live on this forum and the folks on this site are my best buds...I'm not going anywhere. I'm also worried about the site closing down for a week... we need each others phone numbers in case anything hits the fan while we can't communicate and get advice.

So Silverado, come and take the tank... I will help you move it and set up again...LOL fight with the wife for space.

silverado61

Just round up the ponies and put them in the other tank. Toss a heater in the 90 and get a couple of fish. Turn it into a regular fowlr tank that's easier to take care of. There, problem solved?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397895/i-admit-defeat#post_3548235
Just round up the ponies and put them in the other tank. Toss a heater in the 90 and get a couple of fish. Turn it into a regular fowlr tank that's easier to take care of. There, problem solved?
Hi,

LOL...no

I actually considered turning it into a fish only system and do away with the pots. I have two left, because of all the jumps in temperatures, I lost 3, they just disappeared, and I'm sure the CUC took care of them. I also have two huge bat stars that require very cold water. I even considered mixing the species of Kuda and pots...but the Kuda needs the temps around 74, much too warm for the potbellies and stars.

To whom can I give away critters that require the temps to be in the 60s? Nobody has a system set up for the cold....so my only option is to release the critters with the tank that's already set up for them. I hope you will take it...that way I know they will be well cared for. My son want's it...but I just don't think he will be good at it...he so lazy when he is home (much needed rest) and he works all the time. His wife has enough on her plate with all the kids.

I can't keep the macros even trimmed back like they should be. Right now the tank is overrun and ready to be harvested. The truth is...I really need to call it quits for keeping a big tank. It's hard to accept the fact that I just can't do like I did back in the day, I admit defeat...age and physical health problems win. I even have a hard time taking care of my dogs, my next dog will have to be an ankle bitter. Right now I have to keep Atticus and Tammy healthy, so they can be with me as long as possible. LOL...I REALLY don't care much for ankle bitters.

dilan

Im glad ur not going anywhere u were always there to help all of us including me when we needed it and we are all grateful for ur help on the forums. I am hoping u still keep going in the hobby. Maybe set up a nano tank so u can still house the potbellies and still have the 56 for some of ur favorite fish. Just an Idea. Im just glad u arent going anywhere. Hope u can handle all the stuff ur going through. :)

2quills

It isn't defeat it's just that priorities change. I often find it tough to keep up with one tank let alone multiple ones right now. Youve made friends along the way and that's what counts.

silverado61

She's got a friend in me too.

Flower, I would take the tank with the pots but I don't have near the experience needed to keep them. I'd be scared to death I'd kill them. Then I'd be like "OH NO
! I killed Flowers ponies
!"

But, if you need help taking it down and storing it, just say the word.

Like Seth said, don't sell it. Store it. To maybe live another day.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397895/i-admit-defeat#post_3548266
She's got a friend in me too.

Flower, I would take the tank with the pots but I don't have near the experience needed to keep them. I'd be scared to death I'd kill them. Then I'd be like "OH NO
! I killed Flowers ponies
!"

But, if you need help taking it down and storing it, just say the word.

Like Seth said, don't sell it. Store it. To maybe live another day.

LOL...How can I store a tank with potbelly seahorses? Nobody around has a cold saltwater tank to give them to, but by the way they are dropping I won't have to worry about it for long, the constant changing temps is killing them off, they just disappear never to be seen again. I can only find two females now...Flutter and Freckles, there were 5 in there. So Flower killed Flowers ponies...
I guess when the last one goes, I will sell the stuff, I can't handle something so large anymore. I still have the 56g column tank with Kuda seahorses.

Nor can I get a nano tank to keep them in, that made me laugh...Dilan, Potbelly seahorses are the largest species of them, mine are easily 10 inches long, snout to tail tip. Unlike regular seahorses, these like to swim across the tank, they are very fast and they prefer the sand to hitching posts. The Kuda seahorses just kind of slowly glides from hitching post to hitching post.

dilan

Thts my job...to make people laugh. Well i didnt know wat potbellied were thought they were small... Shows how inexperienced i am with seahorse a huh :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilan http:///t/397895/i-admit-defeat#post_3548282
Thts my job...to make people laugh. Well i didnt know wat potbellied were thought they were small... Shows how inexperienced i am with seahorse a huh :)

Hi Dilan,

That's the real joy of keeping SW tanks...we are always learning, and it makes me feel young again experiencing new stuff all the time. Any new fish that we haven't kept, would make anyone feel inexperienced. Then if we know about the fish, we get a chance to educate and share a little knowledge.

silverado61

So give us an update. How are the horses doing? I tried to get a hold of you a week ago by text but you never answered so I assumed you got things figured out.
I bought my own fish book and a few others so let me know when I can drop yours off. You finnaly get it back. Woo Hoo!

flower

So give us an update. How are the horses doing? I tried to get a hold of you a week ago by text but you never answered so I assumed you got things figured out.
I bought my own fish book and a few others so let me know when I can drop yours off. You finnaly get it back. Woo Hoo!
I have been trying to sell the tank for $1000.00 (the chiller alone costs over $500.00, and each seahorse, I have 3... are $145.00 each + shipping charges, not to mention hard to find.) The tank, stand, canopy and power heads as well as the two new HOB filters, it's a great deal at $1000.00. I have a few nibbles but nobody has come for it as yet. I managed to get on the step stool and clear some macros...the chiller is okay and working fine again, maybe it was clogged or something. I checked my messages and I didn't see anything, are you sure you still have my number? Just give me a call and come on over to return the book...LOL, I used that book all the time when folks on the site would ask about certain fish. Without it, I can't give much advice. LOL...Some folks may be praying you never return it.

silverado61

Try selling the ponies separate from the tank. It might be easier than trying to sell everything together. Check with the lfs's in our area. You never know. Maybe they'll sell them on consignment. Then break down the tank and sell it as a bulk item ready to go. If that works, and the timing is right for my build, I'll buy the sand to seed my tank.

flower

Try selling the ponies separate from the tank. It might be easier than trying to sell everything together. Check with the lfs's in our area. You never know. Maybe they'll sell them on consignment. Then break down the tank and sell it as a bulk item ready to go. If that works, and the timing is right for my build, I'll buy the sand to seed my tank.
You can't keep Potbelly seahorses without a chiller set at 65 degrees, which is why the LFS won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

I have the tank for sale, if it sells great, and if not great.

eric b 125

Flower, I had a heck of a time selling my 125 gallon. Tank (with narrow coast to coast weir, external BeanAnimal overflow), stand, canopy, 40L sump, ASM G2 skimmer, 72"MH/T5 fixture, Reef Octopus calcium reactor w/ regulator. It was a nice set up. I needed it gone b/c I was moving and sold it all for $400. I first listed it for $500...no takers. You practically have to give used stuff away in this hobby.

flower

Yes I know that, but the chiller alone is worth over $500.00 and the seahorses are $145 + shipping each...so at $1000.00 I am practically giving it away.

LOL... I wish I was around you when you offered your set up for $500.00

I'm not in any rush, I like my tank, I just realize I can't take care of it like I want to. So I offer it up for sale, and if I get a taker or not so be it. I'm just getting older, and when I was young I always wanted that big ole tank and seahorses, like so many things in life...by the time you can afford it, you are too old to actually enjoy it. My parents finally got the big house and yard...but the kids were all grown by then.