i am just starting

rdosr

i have a Penguin Bio Wheel Power Filter 350B by MarinelandFilters 350 gal./hr.i would like to know how to change it to a mechanical filter. and my power heads are Penguin Power heads Model 550, and a berlin air lift protein skimmer. i plan to have just fowlr. 1 puffer 1 snowflake lion 1 trigger and 1 grouper. how can i keep the Algea down should i get a uv and are these fish ok together

nicetry

Originally Posted by rdosr
i have a Penguin Bio Wheel Power Filter 350B by MarinelandFilters 350 gal./hr.i would like to know how to change it to a mechanical filter. and my power heads are Penguin Power heads Model 550, and a berlin air lift protein skimmer. i plan to have just fowlr. 1 puffer 1 snowflake lion 1 trigger and 1 grouper. how can i keep the Algea down should i get a uv and are these fish ok together

Your profile lists a 55 gallon tank, which is not suited to all of those potentially large fish. The eel and a dwarf lion would be fine, however don't plan on any of the large lions, puffers, triggers or groupers, all of which will quickly outgrow the tank, not to mention the compatability problems.
With a lighter fish load and regular water changes, the filter you have will work. I'd suggest a better skimmer (Aqua C Remora Pro). Algae should not be a problem if you use RO water and maintan a sensible light schedule. If you choose your fish wisely, you can keep snails and some crabs in there. How much live rock do you plan to have? What kind of substrate? I personally wouldn't spend money on a UV.
It's not a large tank to keep predatory fish so don't go over the top stocking it. You'll have a lot of problems with illness and aggression.

rdosr

Originally Posted by nicetry
Your profile lists a 55 gallon tank, which is not suited to all of those potentially large fish. The eel and a dwarf lion would be fine, however don't plan on any of the large lions, puffers, triggers or groupers, all of which will quickly outgrow the tank, not to mention the compatability problems.
With a lighter fish load and regular water changes, the filter you have will work. I'd suggest a better skimmer (Aqua C Remora Pro). Algae should not be a problem if you use RO water and maintan a sensible light schedule. If you choose your fish wisely, you can keep snails and some crabs in there. How much live rock do you plan to have? What kind of substrate? I personally wouldn't spend money on a UV.
It's not a large tank to keep predatory fish so don't go over the top stocking it. You'll have a lot of problems with illness and aggression.
ok thank you what kind of fish if good? substrate cc not that much live rock yet just started i am cycling with damsals. Is this a bad idea for a newbe

nicetry

Cycling with damsels is not necessary. If they live, you then have to catch them and remove them which is a pain. Crushed coral presents it's own challenges, particularly keeping it clean. It's coarse, so uneaten food and waste get's trapped which can compromise your water. You'll need a clean up crew, or a good siphon to regularly vacuum it. Personally, while the tank is still so young, I'd swap out the crushed coral for sand, but that's me. No maintainance.
For fish, you could do the eel, a dwarf lion, one of the hamlets and maybe a big maroon clown. It would still be an "aggressive" tank, but the fish are compatable and won't outgrow the tank. There are other choices as well. Try to stock lightly. Add fish a few weeks apart and stay on top of your water changes, testing parameters regularly (or have your fish store do it at least until you get comfortable).

nicetry

Originally Posted by rdosr
what is a hamlet
Click on the "fish" icon to the left and scroll down to hamlets. Nice fish, underated IMO but a good sturdy aquarium fish in a moderately aggressive tank.