I am new at saltwater fish. Need some help

It been a week that my tank has been setup. Salt level is at 1.021. I used CaribSea live Sand. My tank size is 12 gallon. 4lbs of live rock in there. Yesterday i bought a started fish danzel or something. I am not familiar with the name so sorry. I forgot to buy food when i was at the store. I introduced the fish to the tank following what i was told which i am not sure if i did it correctly or not. This morning it didn't really move it was stuck to the filter. Yesterday it was swimming fine but no this morning. I thought it would be starving so i went to the petstore to get some food and come back and attempted to feed it but it didn't eat. Few hours late it lying as it was dead. Which only case i can conclude it has pass away. I know is my fault. I just started this hobby. I take care of regular tropical fish but i know the experiences from that is completely different with the tank. I just need some advice what could have caused it to die? Could it be from ich or starvation? I need help! Thanks.

meowzer

Welcome to swf.com
have you done any reading on cycling yoru tank?? I think you should go to the new hobby section and read all about it
I highly doubt your fish died of starvation....mor then likely ammonia shock....have you done any water testing? What are your testreadings?
1 week is way toofor a fish to be in a new tank

Yes i had have done some water testing. P.H is at 8.2 and water is safe. ;o I been cycling for a while but i am not sure to what extend does it need to be cycle at. ok. What is the recommended time i should give the tank to build up? I know that if you just introduced live rocks it shoot the level high. So i have to wait till settle down again?

meowzer

What do you mean water is safe? What are your actual readings? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate????
There is NO exact timeline on when a tank is ready.....your water testing will show you though,

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamseed31 http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help#post_3341058
It been a week that my tank has been setup. Salt level is at 1.021. This is your first problem, your tank has only been running for one week.
I used CaribSea live Sand. My tank size is 12 gallon. 4lbs of live rock in there. Yesterday i bought a started fish danzel or something. I am not familiar with the name so sorry. I forgot to buy food when i was at the store. I introduced the fish to the tank following what i was told which i am not sure if i did it correctly or not. Some fish stores, usually ones that are not very reputable will tell you to use this method. You were sold a DAMSEL to start the cycling process of your tank. Using a fish to cycle one's tank is very inhumane. Basically the fish is put in there to poop, as it breaks down, it turns to ammonia, etc. The ammonia toxifies the water and burns the gills of the fish and they end up dying a very painful and unnecessary death. Please research "Cycling Saltwater tank with raw shrimp" there are many, many threads on the topic on this forum and on others.
This morning it didn't really move it was stuck to the filter. Yesterday it was swimming fine but no this morning. I thought it would be starving so i went to the petstore to get some food and come back and attempted to feed it but it didn't eat. Few hours late it lying as it was dead. Which only case i can conclude it has pass away. I know is my fault. I just started this hobby. I take care of regular tropical fish but i know the experiences from that is completely different with the tank. I just need some advice what could have caused it to die? Could it be from ich or starvation? I need help! Thanks.
Welcome to the forum and the saltwater hobby.
I also agree that you need to go research the "New Hobbyist" section of the forum. There is so very useful information in there. Start with these two threads:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/301033/101-tips-to-beginning-and-maintaining-a-saltwater-aquarium
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/264597/a-list-of-extremely-helpful-threads-for-all-hobbyists
If you have any questions while reading those threads feel free to post them up or PM me, there are many helpful people here.
I would recommend getting yourself an API Saltwater Master Test kit. Later on, you may also need the Reef Master kit or choose to use a different brand, but I highly recommend using API to start with.
Your fish died from ammonia poisoning, not ich or starvation.

Meowzer: uhh according to this test strip i use it show level is safe.
BTLDreef: I see. ;O so much to learn about salt water fish. x.x Umm do you have any ideal pricing on rawr shrimp? Does Prime help removes ammonia as it stated on it. I just really new to this salt water fish tank. i read some of the guide. I am trying to focus more on the cycle tank. The pet store i go is the only closet local store that i can go to by bus and only place that sell marine stuff. I know that I need to spend a lot of time on the tank but i am willing to do that. Can you link me to the item that you suggested for me? Thanks!!! I have read some of the tip section so far. I read about the cycling and hoping to read the rest later when i have time. Thank you!

fretfreak13

By shrimp, he means like the kind you eat in a shrimp cocktail =). Put it in the tank, and as it's rotting it will release the ammonia you NEED to start the cycle. You don't want to remove it just yet. As of right now, there should be nothing in your tank except your sand, rock, and saltwater. The shrimp helps to feed the beneficial bacteria that live on your sand and rocks which will help to get rid of any natural pollutant that gets in your water later, like fish poop, too much food, or even a dead fish body.
Please, don't listen to your LFS. They're only trying to get your money. They'll sell you a fish to cycle your tank (which is horribly mean to the fish!), and then when you tell them it died they'll try to sell you another one, along with all kinds of horrible chemicals to "fix" your tank (which is impossible that way). Continue to read around and ask questions before doing anything. This is a great hobby, but can be expensive and frusturating if you go too quickly.
Welcome to SWF. And love your screen name. Gundam rocks. =P

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help#post_3341095
Test strips are basically worthless.....get the api test kit that has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph in it
Don't use prime.....if and when you get ammonia from your initial cycle ....you have to let it run it's course....do not add anything live yet
What meowzer is saying is you should use water that does not need to be dechlorinated and don't use prime to maintain good water quality you should just wait for the test to come down...
If you did use, say tap water you would have to use a conditioner like prime to covert the chlorine into ammonia and detoxify it. This would be a one time thing after this time you would use RO/DI or Distilled water for water changes and topping off.

geoj

Reef Books
I own all of these books and recommend them if you are so inclined.
Marine Fishes 500 + Essential to Know Aquarium Species
By: Scott w. Michael
Marine Invertebrates 500 + Essential to Know Aquarium Species
By: Ronald L. Shimek
Marine Chemistry
By: C. R. Brightwell
Algae: A Problem Solver Guide
By: Julian Sprung

Thank you everyone! I never had a cocktail shrimp before so not sure. I am senior at high school and i really enjoy fishes. I will research on books! Thank you everyone big help. I will continue to read on around this forum. I was also told to notice a stable tank is where like some sort of weird coloring builds on the background wall. I am not sure what is called it. Do you mean distilled water such as water bottle? Ok thank you very much! I will continue reading and researching around! I am graceful for everyone helps! Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamseed31 http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help#post_3341178
Thank you everyone! I never had a cocktail shrimp before so not sure. I am senior at high school and i really enjoy fishes. I will research on books! Thank you everyone big help. I will continue to read on around this forum. I was also told to notice a stable tank is where like some sort of weird coloring builds on the background wall. I am not sure what is called it. Do you mean distilled water such as water bottle? Ok thank you very much! I will continue reading and researching around! I am graceful for everyone helps! Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Welcome to the site.
What you need is called RO (Reverse Osmoses) water. You can get it at food stores or Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart sells it around my house at .37 cents a gallon. Tap water or well water is loaded with stuff that will cause problem algae big time, you don’t want that.
The pretty color that develops later on the walls is called coralline algae. It’s a crusty hard algae and it has many colors from pink to green and everything in between. I even have orange, that later turns red. That takes time to grow and is usually introduced on your live rocks.
The tips you read on this site and the books will save you time and money. You can’t cycle your tank with a shrimp cocktail..You must use a raw unflavored shrimp. If it is red it has been cooked, if it is in a sauce you can’t use it..You can get the easy peel kind. Buy a bag and keep the rest in the freezer, use it as fish food later if you don’t eat shrimp.

fretfreak13

"You can't cycle your tank with a shrimp cocktail.."
You know what I meant, right Flower? XD
Anyways, just because you're in high school doesn't mean you can't do this. I started when I was a sophmore, and I'm a junior in high school now and have stable, beautiful tanks (I'll warn you now though, it's expensive!). All the information I've learned was here on this site, and on a few others. Keep asking questions and reading, you'll get it.

Thank you everyone for your help. I want to know is the kit you guy are talking about?
http://www.*****.com/product/103685/Aquarium-Pharmaceuticals-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

1snapple

Welcome to the forum.
Do NOT use distilled water. distilled water has nothing in it but Nitrogen and Oxygen.
RO/DI water has nutrients in it that fish need.
Cycling a tank is roughly 3-5 weeks depending on size, what you run ect.
My pico (3gal) cycled in 7 days but I do NOT recommend this tank to anyone starting out.
Make a list of fish you want in your tank and don't stray from it.
Don't get into the hobby thinking it is in anyway shape or form cheap. If you be cheap it will eventually bite you in the arse.
Best of luck-
Snapple

Hey I just find there is a salt water master kit. Is there a different between the two? or i can use the freshwater one for salt as well? If not i am going to exchange when i go back to teh store. I just want to make sure. Thank you everyone!!!

flower

Freshwater and saltwater are NOT the same. Freshwater test is designed to measure the proper things to keep a healthy freshwater tank. The results color chart is different and the safe range is geared for freshwater.
API Master Reef kit has a test for the following:

• Phosphates

• Calcium

• KH

• PH

• Nitrates
    API Master Saltwater kit has the following tests:
    PH
    Ammonia
    Nitrites
    Nitrates
If you have a reef tank you need both kits. The saltwater kit is for the beginner tank just set up. The master reef has tests to help you maintain a healthy reef.