I broke my birds nest off its frag plug, is it a goner?

kilofey

I went to feed my duncan with my grabber tongs and accidentally snapped my green birdsnest off the plug. I superglued it back onto a rock, but will it be okay since it broke off instead of being cut? Its only about an inch tall and Y shaped, so its just a little guy.
This is only my second sps, the other being a hydrapora (i think) It was doing really good and I dont want to lose it :sad:

slice

As long as you handled the newly created frag properly, you should be fine. A dip in Revive would soothe it's hurt little feelings.
Was it encrusted on the plug? If so, I would keep the rest and see if it will grow out as well. You may end up with 2 birdsnests.

kilofey

Im not sure if I handled it properly :( im just getting my feet wet with sps (no pun intended). I tried to be gentle but im not sure if I was gentle enough... How long till it shows signs? I accidentally took off a couple polyps around the base when I hit it with the grabber claw, like scratched them off or something. And its not encrusted yet.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/390891/i-broke-my-birds-nest-off-its-frag-plug-is-it-a-goner#post_3463917
Im not sure if I handled it properly :( im just getting my feet wet
with sps (no pun intended). I tried to be gentle but im not sure if I was gentle enough... How long till it shows signs? I accidentally took off a couple polyps around the base when I hit it with the grabber claw, like scratched them off or something. And its not encrusted yet.
Well, there is your problem. You are supposed to use your hands.

kilofey

Hah hah hah everyones a joker... Lol jk.... Thanks for the info, ill use my hands next time :hi:

slice

OK seriously....When I bought my ponape birdsnest, it was on one of those silly ORA black plastic frag plug thingys (despise those things).
When I turned the frag/plug sideways to grind off the tip of the plug (with a diamond wheel in my dremel), the damn frag fell completely out of the plug!!

At this point, my situation was similar to what you had when you broke yours off.
I grabbed the frag with a pair of tweezers by the bottom of the main stalk, made a little epoxy "cigar" and wrapped it around the bottom of the stalk to make a collar. I then superglue gelled the epoxy collar to a piece of rubble. The only place I touched the frag with the tweezers was now covered and enveloped by the epoxy. I let is sit in Revive for a few minutes, then put it in the tank.
It grew like crazy and did not seem to notice anything had happened to it.
Lets see what others say about the areas of yours that got scratched off, but I've read where people cover up boo-boos with super glue gel as a bandage. I've also heard folks use that technique to bandage over RTN areas.