I broke my Floating Glass Hydrometer

dhughesz28

Hello all. I’m hoping someone can help me. I used to have a great glass float hydrometer till I broke it today…. :mad: :mad: It was about 12inch long and the scale was huge making it very easy to read. It was some what heavier that the cheep-o 7$ pet-co version, so it didn’t bobble in the water that much. I was able to get really accurate, consistent readings with it. I know that everyone is going to tell me to toss it and get the refractometer, but for now, can anyone tell me where I can buy another glass float hydrometer. I don’t want the cheep one that almost all pet stores sell. Those are crap, under 8” long and the scale is so small, you can’t even see it….
I have seen some web sites advertise a lab grade hydrometer, what is that and how does it differ from a regular hydrometer?? thanks
:happyfish

ophiura

I am assuming the implication is that it is more accurate. Otherwise though, I am not sure. Really you don't know exactly how accurate they are until you baseline it with a refractometer. Anyway, I see them sold at LFSs but don't know the quality that you are looking for :notsure:
But I will post the reminder that posting links to other sites is not allowed, out of respect to the owner of the board. :)

reefnut

Originally Posted by ophiura
:D And a refractometer for $60!
Go with the refractormeter... they are very accurate and easy to use... about the best way currently to test salinity.

ophiura

Plus, they look really cool. If there is any way to make you look like you truly know exactly what you are doing, its when you break out the refractometer and the little screw driver. Feel just like a real life oceanographer :yes:

sprieto

I have seen them as low as $50 on other sites.
Would this affect the quality?
What are good brands of refractometers?
The floating meters suck, but I still have a primitive "dip and check" hydrometer.
Refractometer is next on the list!!!!!!

ophiura

:thinking:
When I worked at a fish store, I had a lady come in and I spent well over an hour with her talking about setting up and running a saltwater tank...pros of this piece of equipment over that one. She informed me that she was going to go get the tank and stuff at Walmart. :mad: Yes, cheaper, but what do you save in the end? That is always the question. :yes:

madison

What about the "thermometer" looking device? it's a Digilab...it measures the salinity, SG and the temp in about 3 secs...it cost about $150.00
Any experience with that product? my friend who works at Sea World San Diego swears by it!

ophiura

Oh yeah, well if you are getting into things in that price range there are lots of options. Still a refractometer fan though (again, super coolness factor), but when I worked at an aquarium (after the fish store, since this is like a diary of my life now) I went around using one for temp and pH (could have probes for other things too) every day.
:notsure: I think I needed another set of parentheses in this post (so I'll add them here)

sprieto

So what's a good brand of refractometer?
What is all this I hear about some units needing calabration?

ophiura

I'm not up on brands. They all need calibration using distilled water as a "zero," and need to be calibrated often.

dhughesz28

break out the refractometer and the little screw driver
I have never seen one of these up close, how do they work? Whats the screw driver for?

ophiura

The screw driver is used to "zero" the refractometer when using distilled water. When you have a known sample of "0" salinity, you take the screw driver and use it in a little screw ("thinky") on the top of the refractometer so that the guage you see through the instrument is level with "0." This takes incredible skill and coordination (again, adds to the cool "oceanographer" look). LOL. As the thing is set down/knocked around, it can stray a bit from this as many instruments will, so it is important to calibrate it frequently. But overall very easy to use :yes:

wax32

The one from SWF.com doesn't need a screwdriver it has a KNOB! WOO. Anyway as far as I can tell it's the same exact one on auction sites etc. But you know you can trust SWF.com.

wax32

How much does SWF.com charge to ship one of those anyway. I am actually in the market for one too. :D