I can't be cycled yet....do you agree?

ktsdad

Last week I thought I started my cycle on my new 250.
I put in all the dead rock and sand, got the salinity and temp stable.
Then put in 80lbs of live rock from my current reef.
I put in a large chunk of raw salmon to start the cycle.
I tested the water every other day for that last week.
I thought the ammonia got up to .25, but never higher.
The nitrites never got above 0. 3 different test kits, same results - no nitrites.
Now tonight I am reading trace nitrates - 0.2 with 2 differnt kits, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia.
It has been awhile since I did a first time cycle, but I know it should have taken longer than 1 week.
Is one (2"x2") chunk of raw fish enough to start a cycle on such a big tank?
Once I started reading ammonia, I removed the chunk of fish.
Should I try to start the cycle again? With more raw shrimp?
Did the live rock take care of the small ammonia reading I saw?
I would hate to start adding by softies and reef fish and then have it start the cycle again......
Opinions???? Thoughts?????

cherizle

im no expert by all means, but i had a similar experience with my little 55 gal. i just added fish very slowly and all was ok. i think mine appeared to cycle in just over a week. :notsure:

mitzel

my 125 cycled in about a week.to be honest I never saw a spike. I had slight levels on my first test a day or two in but then fell quickly. and have never had any increase . knock on wood.

cpaplive

You Can Cycle As Fast Or As Slow As You Want, The More Live Rock , The Faster The Run In Time. I Cycled A Tank In Three Days Once, Good Luck.

kpogue

I've had tanks cycle in as little as 1 week up to 8 weeks. IMO I would wait one more week beyond wht you think is safe just to be sure.

luke g

yea i have a 37 that cycled in a week,but i have a 65 that cycled in 5 weeks ,but if you have had your spik then u shoudl be good , i dideitn use and raw fish or anythign either so uu probubly good.

jewban

When i started my 55 i put 40lbs ls and 50 lbs cured lr and a 3ounce packet of bio spira, one week later my tank was ready to go....