I can't decide...help me!

panther

I've been struggling with this for about a month now...and with all the different opinions and options...I still am not sure what I should do. What lighting should I get?
I have a 150g (5' X 2' X 2')Tenecor acrylic tank. It also has the Tenecor stand/canopy that came with it. The problem is the canopy isn't made for MH lighting as it's about 6" from tank top to hood top. There are no lights in it at all atm, and I can't figure out if I want to modify the canopy(what a pain the rear!) and use MH/VHO, or just plain old VHO, or even PC lighting.
Since it's still in the planning stage, I might as well plan on being able to keep any type of coral in it that I would like, including say...clams. That way I don't have to upgrade in the future and spend even more $ on it.
I've considered 2 250W IWASAKI 65K MHs and two 110W VHO blue actinics. Would this be sufficient lighting, or maybe I should go with 400W MHs?
There's just SO much info out there I don't know what to do. I would greatly appreciate any opinions you can offer!

orby

If you plan on keeping corals in the future I would really recommend that you go with the MH/VHO combination. I have PC's and they really don't do a great job for lighting. Soft corals are ok under them, but if your talking clams you'll need better. I think you should decide what type of corals your going to be keeping first because there is also the issue that not all corals are compatible and many have higher requirements. (Water Quality, Suppliments, as well as lighting)

panther

That's good advice. I hadn't considered the "not all corals are compatible" aspect. Silly me!
This will be my first reef tank, so it should be an adventure! Thanks for your advice.

option720

regardless of what type of lights you choose i would make your own canopy. i did and there is nothing more gratifying to look at something you put your own effort into
"you cannot stop me....you can only hope to contain me"
emile