I cant figure these Refractometer readings. Inconsistant measurments beetween two Milwakee's

king_neptune

Both have been calibrated to 0.

Meter #1: ATC 100
Meter #2: RHS-10 ATC

Both are excellent refractometers.
I tested two batch's of water and the readings surprised me:
First batch,
ATC 100: .030
RHS-10 ATC: .024

Second batch:
ATC 100: .026
RHS -10 ATC: .026
I triple checked and made sure the meter was cleaned each time. Same readings.

Any ideas why?
BTW batch two is fresh water is almost mixed and ready to go into the tank.I'm just gonna drop it a couple points.
Batch 1 comes from a nano tank with fish in it already. The blenny has been sitting in one spot all day, and looks pale. Usually he is extremely lively...but today seemed depressed. That's what got me testing with multiple meters. I was concerned my dad had poor water. At first I was positive...but after testing the emergency water....now I'm confused, since they both read .026. His tank is mixed according the RHS-10 ATC, and I keep the other for my tank. My tank reads .025 and all my livestock are happy.

geoj

If you read the first test without giving the atc time to adjust you will get a false reading.
By the third test the atc temp would have adjusted from taking the first two readings.

It would be better to use a refractometer calibration fluid with a salinity of 1.025 or your target salinity. Calibrating a refractometer to zero when you test at 1.025 is less accurate.

king_neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/379870/i-cant-figure-these-refractometer-readings-inconsistant-measurments-beetween-two-milwakee-s#post_3303583

If you read the first test without giving the atc time to adjust you will get a false reading.
By the third test the atc temp would have adjusted from taking the first two readings.

It would be better to use a refractometer calibration fluid with a salinity of 1.025 or your target salinity. Calibrating a refractometer to zero when you test at 1.025 is less accurate.
The water temp in the second batch wehre they both read identicle was room temp...the water from the first batch was 79degrees.
So you thinking the warmer water needed time to adjust on the refractometer?

If that is the case, then why does my water on my third tank read .025 right off the bat(79degree's) on both meters?

geoj

The temp of the water does not mater it is that the meter needs time to adjust to the temp of the water.