I cant find a glass canopy that fits my 20H tank

floods7

I have a tank that is about 15 years old and becuase of a new lighting system I need a glass canopy. I went to the local aquarim store and I bought what they told me was the correct canopy for a 20H. But when I went to install it wasnt wide enough, it was about a 1/4 to narrow on both sides. I took a measuring tape to it and it was about 21 and 3/4 while my tank needs somehting that is 22 and 6/16in. I told them about this and they said that since my tank is so old its going to be extreamly hard to find.
I spent about 130 on a light and its going to waist
anyone know where I can get a glass top that fits? thanks

snakeblitz33

Are you saying you need glass tops because the light causes too much evaporation? Glass tops cause your pH to drop because of the decreased levels of dissolved gasses. It would be better to top off your tank more often then to add glass tops. You could add some egg crate on top of your tank, and then set the glass tops you bought on top of that. It would provide just enough air flow under the glass that it might keep your DO level, and provide a way for you to keep the glass top that you recently bought. Cut two strips of egg crate to fit on either side of your tank and set the glass on top of it. Just throwing out some ideas.
Egg crate is that plastic grate stuff they use for florescent lighting fixtures in buildings. You should be able to find some white plastic egg crate at your local hardware department.
If you could tell us the reason why you need glass tops because of your light, that might clear up some confusion.

2quills

Do you know the manufacturer of the tank? Odds are what you're looking for isn't being produced anymore. A couple of options would be to get a 24" top and cut it to size or make your own. The egg crate idea works to but it also diffuses some of the light and cuts down on par. If you're not growing corals than it's not a big deal, but if you are I would go a different route. Another option would be to make a canopy for the top of your tank which would allow you to mount the fixture higher off the tank. I'm just guessing that you're worried about moisture and salt creep getting on the fixture?

xcali1985

At this point I would look into what brand lighting I had. You can probably reach them easier. Most have hanging accessories. From bars that attach to the top of your tank, to wall mounts, ceiling mounts, ones that mount to the back of your stand, etc. I also suggest against covering your tank, especially if you don't have a sump type setup.

ibew41

wait for the local dollar per gallon sale at the big box fish stores and buy the tank to fit the light or look on line for used set ups