I.D. wrasse for me?

fixed

Can anyone I.D. this wrasse for me? The LFS said "banana wrasse," but looking around, it doesn't seem like it. Thanks.

B

barkdog

Looks like a lime green wrasse. Also called banana or sunset wrasse (I think). That one looks like the australian variety.

B

barkdog

I recently had an experience with one of these. I added one to my 180 gallon fish only tank. After an hour he got really aggressive with my porcupine puffer. Within minutes I could tell that one fish would have to be removed or the puffer would die. Since my puffer is by far the coolest fish ever, I took the wrasse out and took him back to the LFS, who was nice enough to credit me, even after my 3 week QT. So I think these tend to be a bit more aggressive than than most wrasses. I have a Klunzinger (sp?) wrasse in another tank, which is a closely related fish. Still aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive.

fixed

Originally Posted by barkdog
I recently had an experience with one of these. I added one to my 180 gallon fish only tank. After an hour he got really aggressive with my porcupine puffer. Within minutes I could tell that one fish would have to be removed or the puffer would die. Since my puffer is by far the coolest fish ever, I took the wrasse out and took him back to the LFS, who was nice enough to credit me, even after my 3 week QT. So I think these tend to be a bit more aggressive than than most wrasses. I have a Klunzinger (sp?) wrasse in another tank, which is a closely related fish. Still aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive.
Thanks, both.
I haven't seen any aggressive behavior from him, yet. In fact, he seems to be the low one on the pecking order in this tank: http://www.midcalracing.com/fish.htm . The clown trigger chases him now and then.
Now, he may well be messing with my puffer when I'm not looking. Maybe I need some surveillance video?

B

barkdog

No surprise that the clown trigger is chasing him. Clown Triggers might be the most aggressive fish you can put in a tank. As clowns get bigger, they get meaner, and will usually cap their tank mates from what I've heard (I've never had one).
Is your puffer much larger than the wrasse? Mine were about the same size, so that may have been the issue. Also, mine was not the australian variety. Maybe those are nicer. Or maybe mine was just a jerk.
They are pretty fish. From the research I did I understand that they are very easy to take care of and are good eaters.