I don't believe it !

pangdonger

My two clowns have been in my tank for about two weeks or so. When I saw one of them acting strangely, I started researching more on them. The little quivering dance, staying near the same rock, etc.
A week ago I saw that the belly of the brighter colored one was swollen and the other one doing its dance.
Today they are picking the surface of the rock clean they hang around.
Are they getting ready to spawn? Or do they act like this frequently?

ice4ice

Yep - looks like the sounds of it !
One of the clown is turning into a dominant female. You've got yourself a mated pair and they're ready to spawn.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
Yep - looks like the sounds of it !
One of the clown is turning into a dominant female. You've got yourself a mated pair and they're ready to spawn.
well, technically they arent a mated pair yet :p once the eggs are there WOOHOO.
my clowns both do the shiver dance (as my wife likes to call it) and constantly make a nest out of the sand, but no eggs of yet.

pangdonger

Thanks for your replies. I came home from work to find they had cleaned the rock even more.
If they do lay eggs, I do not have anything set up to retrieve the fry when they hatch. I have been reading on what I need to do, and I believe I am capable of rearing them, I just was not ready for it to happen so soon.
But I am not going to torn up about it, makes me happy just to see this behavior out of my fish. Hopefully they will hold off for awhile so I can get a brood tank set up, and start raising some green water for marine rotifers.
Any thing else I need to know from any one's experience please let me know.