I don't care if you're Christian, Jewish or otherwise...

yearofthenick

I heard an excellent quote the other day while listening to a speech by one of the former presidential candidates. He said:
"...If you don't think Christmas day should be a holiday then you shouldn't take the day off."
...AMEN! Never thought of it that way before. Of all the religions that shun Christmas day as a discriminatory holiday and require organizations' employees to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" around Christmas Day, they should work while others take the day off to celebrate.
Don't get me wrong - I totally stand behind the Jewish Chanukkah celebrators, and I think we should say happy Chanukkah as well as Merry Christmas...
But what pisses me off are the nay-sayers who look for anything to gripe about. People who are the real scrooges of the holidays who can't stand that someone out there isn't celebrating THEIR holiday, or any holiday for that matter. It's the people with these temperaments that need to get their a$$ out of bed on December 25 and put in a full day... or shut up.
If they are reaping the benefits and getting the day off, even when they don't celebrate it as a holiday, why complain about it???

meowzer

Get this....In Tulsa Oklahoma they have changed the name of ...WELL JUST READ IT.. BUT Sen. Inhofe will not participate....GOOD FOR HIM

Christmas Parade or Holiday Parade?

• December 8th, 2010 5:20 pm CT
    By Robert Driskell, Oklahoma City Biblical Examiner
dartAdPrepare("http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cdg.examiner2.oklahoma-city-ok/;tt=biblical;plc=oklahoma%20city;chn=religion%20%26%20spirituality;subc=western%20religions;sect=western%20religions;nid=26895516;top=religion%20%26%20spirituality;top=western%20religions;ed=oklahoma-city-ok;uid=2667706;etid=68074;pgtp=article;tile=2;pos=2;sz=300x250;kw=;adtest=adtest;ord=");

The changing of the name of the parade in Tulsa from a “Christmas” parade to a “holiday” parade is sparking discussion, debate, and disappointment.
The Tulsa World reports that:
“Controversy erupted last week when Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Oklahoma, said he would not participate in the parade because Christ had been removed”.
Senator Inhofe reacted according to his beliefs. Is that not his right? Why shouldn't he live as he believes?
“Tulsan Herb Beattie spoke in favor of the [name change], saying to not have the event would be "a tragedy."
"I'm embarrassed we're even having this conversation," he said. “ (Tulsa World)

Why is he embarrassed? Why should it be considered embarrassing for citizens to come together to voice their opinions on issues about which they are passionate? Should only one side be heard? How would that be democratic?
">“Attorney Greg Bledsoe said the government can't censor the event because of the Christmas-holiday word debate.
"This is not a theocracy ... yet," he said.” (Tulsa World)
Once again, anytime someone voices a positive opinion concerning religious beliefs, they are accused of wanting to force those beliefs on everyone. This is a common tactic designed to make religious people seem militantly intolerant of anyone else’s views. It is a tactic designed to ridicule their beliefs and hopefully shame them into silence.
This writer has written elsewhere concerning the idea of a theocracy in America, so no elaboration will follow here, however; Christians must be vocal about their beliefs and not feel ashamed. What is Christmas about if not the birth of Christ?
How did discourse in Americadegenerate to the point where name-calling and belittling someone with whom you disagree is the norm rather than the exception?
Can we no longer think clearly enough to be rational? Instead, we let our emotions take over our mouths and simple say things that are meant to hurt others?
Whether we call it Christmas or holiday, we should attempt to exercise some compassion this season.

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382362/i-don-t-care-if-you-re-christian-jewish-or-otherwise#post_3336511
Get this....In Tulsa Oklahoma they have changed the name of ...WELL JUST READ IT.. BUT Sen. Inhofe will not participate....GOOD FOR HIM

Christmas Parade or Holiday Parade?

• December 8th, 2010 5:20 pm CT
    By Robert Driskell, Oklahoma City Biblical Examiner
dartAdPrepare("http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cdg.examiner2.oklahoma-city-ok/;tt=biblical;plc=oklahoma%20city;chn=religion%20%26%20spirituality;subc=western%20religions;sect=western%20religions;nid=26895516;top=religion%20%26%20spirituality;top=western%20religions;ed=oklahoma-city-ok;uid=2667706;etid=68074;pgtp=article;tile=2;pos=2;sz=300x250;kw=;adtest=adtest;ord=");

The changing of the name of the parade in Tulsa from a “Christmas” parade to a “holiday” parade is sparking discussion, debate, and disappointment.
The Tulsa World reports that:
“Controversy erupted last week when Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Oklahoma, said he would not participate in the parade because Christ had been removed”
Senator Inhofe reacted according to his beliefs. Is that not his right? Why shouldn't he live as he believes?
“Tulsan Herb Beattie spoke in favor of the [name change], saying to not have the event would be "a tragedy."
"I'm embarrassed we're even having this conversation," he said. “ (Tulsa World)
Why is he embarrassed? Why should it be considered embarrassing for citizens to come together to voice their opinions on issues about which they are passionate? Should only one side be heard? How would that be democratic?
“Attorney Greg Bledsoe said the government can't censor the event because of the Christmas-holiday word debate.
"This is not a theocracy ... yet," he said.” (Tulsa World)

Once again, anytime someone voices a positive opinion concerning religious beliefs, they are accused of wanting to force those beliefs on everyone. This is a common tactic designed to make religious people seem militantly intolerant of anyone else’s views. It is a tactic designed to ridicule their beliefs and hopefully shame them into silence.
This writer has written elsewhere concerning the idea of a theocracy in America, so no elaboration will follow here, however; Christians must be vocal about their beliefs and not feel ashamed. What is Christmas about if not the birth of Christ?
How did discourse in Americadegenerate to the point where name-calling and belittling someone with whom you disagree is the norm rather than the exception?
Can we no longer think clearly enough to be rational? Instead, we let our emotions take over our mouths and simple say things that are meant to hurt others?
Whether we call it Christmas or holiday, we should attempt to exercise some compassion this season.
I only quoted you so I could repeat what you said. =)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick http:///forum/thread/382362/i-don-t-care-if-you-re-christian-jewish-or-otherwise#post_3336500
I heard an excellent quote the other day while listening to a speech by one of the former presidential candidates. He said:
"...If you don't think Christmas day should be a holiday then you shouldn't take the day off."
...AMEN! Never thought of it that way before. Of all the religions that shun Christmas day as a discriminatory holiday and require organizations' employees to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" around Christmas Day, they should work while others take the day off to celebrate.
Don't get me wrong - I totally stand behind the Jewish Chanukkah celebrators, and I think we should say happy Chanukkah as well as Merry Christmas...
But what pisses me off are the nay-sayers who look for anything to gripe about. People who are the real scrooges of the holidays who can't stand that someone out there isn't celebrating THEIR holiday, or any holiday for that matter. It's the people with these temperaments that need to get their a$$ out of bed on December 25 and put in a full day... or shut up.
If they are reaping the benefits and getting the day off, even when they don't celebrate it as a holiday, why complain about it???

I 1000+ 10 more agree with you!
I have begged my company to PLEASE let me have two Jewish Holidays in exchange for Xmas eve and Xmas. I thought it was a good deal. I would work that holiday and not get overtime because it is just a regular day to me. However the union won't allow it, they have certain holidays they negotiated for and that's it, they can’t tweak it just for me.

monsinour

I feel obligated to say something, but one thing i learned long ago is to not discuss religion, politics, or controversial law with friends as you wont have them as friends any more.
BTW who out there is having a happy kwanza? LOL

fishtaco

I don't really get the war on Christmas, it has pretty much turned into a commercial holiday anyway so what is the big deal? I look forward to Christmas every year, we load up my old F-250 with presents and make the 100 mile trip to my sisters which is a fun drive, get together and enjoy the company of my family, always over-eat since my sister must work for a couple days straight on brunch. Play some silly Christmas games which usually include lottery tickets for the winners, a couple members of the family play piano so that means music, open presents, although that is mainly for the kids, then my brother-in-law and I will sneak out to the garage and get started on brewing a batch of home-brew which we then split between us. Finally in the evening we will make our way home, but we always wait till dusk so we can look at Christmas lights along the drive.
My only gripe is about how commercial it has become, do people really wake-up with new Mercedes or a Lexus sitting in the drive-way with a bow on Christmas morning? I also make a point of only buying gifts made in this country or giving out calenders with photos we have taken through-out the year or jars of my wifes much loved garlic pickles in a effort to combat plastic-madeinchina-wal-mart Christmas which just disgust me.
Fishtaco(It's about family folks)

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382362/i-don-t-care-if-you-re-christian-jewish-or-otherwise#post_3336517
I have begged my company to PLEASE let me have two Jewish Holidays in exchange for Xmas eve and Xmas. I thought it was a good deal. I would work that holiday and not get overtime because it is just a regular day to me. However the union won't allow it, they have certain holidays they negotiated for and that's it, they can’t tweak it just for me.
Well I have no idea your work situation, (I know I've read what you do but I can't remember) ignoring the Union BS. You get into collective barganing, their aint much you can do about it. But if my situation, working on christmas day would be worthless, bacause I work closely with other people. However, my non-union company gives us floating holiday to solve that situation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtaco
http:///forum/thread/382362/i-don-t-care-if-you-re-christian-jewish-or-otherwise#post_3336544
I don't really get the war on Christmas, it has pretty much turned into a commercial holiday anyway so what is the big deal? I look forward to Christmas every year, we load up my old F-250 with presents and make the 100 mile trip to my sisters which is a fun drive, get together and enjoy the company of my family, always over-eat since my sister must work for a couple days straight on brunch. Play some silly Christmas games which usually include lottery tickets for the winners, a couple members of the family play piano so that means music, open presents, although that is mainly for the kids, then my brother-in-law and I will sneak out to the garage and get started on brewing a batch of home-brew which we then split between us. Finally in the evening we will make our way home, but we always wait till dusk so we can look at Christmas lights along the drive.
My only gripe is about how commercial it has become, do people really wake-up with new Mercedes or a Lexus sitting in the drive-way with a bow on Christmas morning? I also make a point of only buying gifts made in this country or giving out calenders with photos we have taken through-out the year or jars of my wifes much loved garlic pickles in a effort to combat plastic-madeinchina-wal-mart Christmas which just disgust me.
Fishtaco(It's about family folks)
You know, why worry about the salesmen selling? They're just trying to be able to climb into their figurative truck and do what they find fulfilling.