I Don't Know If You Guys Heard..Steve's Tank Crashed

promisetbg

Steve Weast's tank crashed. It was a terrible accident. Any of you who know him or his tanks knows how absolutely gorgeous it is. My idol tank!!This is so very sad.

reefforbrains

Crash is a strong word when talking about the infamous Oregon reef. Can anyone confirm this before urban legend takes hold?

promisetbg

Long story but to make it short...his sump emptied after cleaning some powerheads on a skimmer.{this made them more efficient} He got called away from the house til late. By then his 200 gal sump had emptied. It would have taken a couple days to make this much water so he used dechlorinated tapwater. He says the TDS is very low there. But he thinks it was the old bottle of dechlor. He blames his own mistake, and haste in not thinking out the situation. He feels he should have just left the sump dry, made the water, and temporarily added more oxygen to the tank. Can you imagine pulling out 2 foot dead acros?
His fish are ok, anemones questionable,LPS ok, all softies & sps dead...
He posted this himself on a large site.

reefforbrains

Sudden Death from Tap Water in all SPS? come now, where did you get this info? Its just too tall of a tale to swallow that he would take such risks with that system. Also from his parts his tap SHOULD be quite good. Not tossing down the BS card, but it seems like a prank

promisetbg

He is taking it very well, analyzing his mistake, and looking for all positives in this terrible misfortune. He will come back, & better!

promisetbg

Look,I don't bother with BS. He posted this himself..go & read. You know I am not allowed to post a link or say where. You will have to figure it out for yourself. He will probably be along to tell you all. He does post here from time to time.It's in the sps forum.

reefforbrains

Well....I had a little incident Thursday morning......
Thursday morning, I did a water change and decided to clean the powerheads on my skimmer since I haven't cleaned those in over a year. I got everything up and going, when I got a call that forced me to leave earlier than I had planned.
I returned home around 10pm......meaning that I was gone some 14 hrs. Well, apparently, clean skimmer pumps are much more efficient than dirty ones......so, the skimmer proceeded to overflow and empty my entire 200 gal sump down the drain. I had to do something....and since I had no water made up and it would take two days to generate 200 gals....I was forced to use tap water. Our water up here is actually not too bad out of the tap.
I also had some dechlorinator on hand that I've had...but never needed....for years. I filled the sump, mixed in dechlorinator, salt.....mixed well.....and powered up. Everything was back on line....went to bed.
I woke up Friday to the tank of death....every single sps coral is gone. All ricordea....gone. Fish and lps are fine....anemones...not happy; but alive. I removed all the dead stuff.....some seven buckets of sps heads ....some two feet in diameter.....very sad.
I feel that the fault was mine....I probably would have been fine with just taking the two days to create more water.....after all, my closed loop was working fine and I could have always added aeration. The second mistake was probably adding too much of a very old dechlorinator....which, I feel, was the primary cause of death. It was just a case of reacting too quickly and not thinking.
I always try to find the bright side in the face of adversity....in this case:
1) I'm going to save a ton on reactor media.
2) My cold tank is doing great....I can always look at that instead
3) no more AEFW's
4) no more red bugs
5) I guess I can reaquascape now
6) I'm now a buyer for sps heads
7) I have a vacation coming up and I won't have to worry a lick about the tank.
And to think that I was contemplating updating my site with new pics......well, at least that saves some time taking new pics.....starting over sucks.....

[hr]
those are Steves own words. ouch indeed. Promis- Sorry for doubting, this is indeed a sad day for Reefers.........

reefforbrains

And for those that dont know him or his tank, he had a true sight to behold in form of a custom 850 gallon reef. You can google 30 different sites that show off his tank. It was nicknamed the "Oregon Reef"

triga22

Thats too bad. His tank is probably the most known tank in the US. Poor guy. Hopefully its not totally destryoed. And mabye in a year itll look just as good or better.

reefforbrains

Damn, he really is a decent guy too. Hes being quite hard on himself.
I am active here in West Coast and theres dozens of clubs. I am sure the emails will start flowing like mad for a sort of pledge drive and reseeding his reef. I understand this is just one hobbiests tank to people that arent familiar. But this really was one of the worlds best ranking home tanks. Quality and diversity in specimens is renown. Google its design and construction. And now ALL SPS, and LPS is dead. Damn this really saddens me........

rykna

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Crash is a strong word when talking about the infamous Oregon reef. Can anyone confirm this before urban legend takes hold?
I'll second this motion

rykna

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
And for those that dont know him or his tank, he had a true sight to behold in form of a custom 850 gallon reef. You can google 30 different sites that show off his tank. It was nicknamed the "Oregon Reef"
that's horrible...

dogstar

Yep, that was a nice tank. Im sure it will be again....
Thats one of my biggest fears. Even for my little ol 150g. How something that could seem so ''not '' important at the time can have a result so devestateing.
Ohh, the horror of wakeing up or comeing home to see something like that. I hope he takes it better than I fear I would/could.
Good luck with the rebuild, Steve