i don't know what this is

hockeyman

well to start out all my fish died a few weeks ago after adding some LR. but just this week i noticed on my LR there was this odd looking plant that i saw for the first time. today for kicks and giggles i but some brine shrimp in there to see what would happen. and it is pretty much like a venus fly trap. what kind of plant is this?

hot883

Originally Posted by hockeyman
well to start out all my fish died a few weeks ago after adding some LR. but just this week i noticed on my LR there was this odd looking plant that i saw for the first time. today for kicks and giggles i but some brine shrimp in there to see what would happen. and it is pretty much like a venus fly trap. what kind of plant is this?
Was the tank cycled?
Was the live rock cured?
Look at the hitchhiker thread, sounds like aiptasia to me but there are pictures you can use to identify.

hockeyman

the tank was cycled
i am not sure if the LR was cured which was most likley the problem. is that plant a bad thing?

hot883

If the plant thing is aiptasia it is a pest anemone and yes it is bad. If not taken care of they will spread.

patandlace

Just run a search or do a google search. I'm sure there's a ton of threads on this issue. If it is aiptasia don't just yank it out. Pick up some Joe's Juice or squirt it with boiling water.

hockeyman

Originally Posted by patandlace
Just run a search or do a google search. I'm sure there's a ton of threads on this issue. If it is aiptasia don't just yank it out. Pick up some Joe's Juice or squirt it with boiling water.
how would i go about squirting it with joe's juice or boiling water if i don't yank it out?

patandlace

With a syringe, or medicine dropper thing. If you pull it out it will cause them to spread faster. Kinda like if you pull a gray hair out 5 more will grow back.