i don't know

ilovetangs

I don't know what i have to do when i cycle my new tank because i'm going to buy saltwater from the store and i don't know how i have to cycle it. do i have to adjust the ph nitrite and nitrate and the amonia because this saltwater is already cycled. please help me i'm stuck

A

alti

the water is not what cycles. we check the water to see if the tank has cycled. the filters,tank,substrate and live rock are really what needs to be cycled. im sure if you do some searches on cycling you'll be able to figure out what im rambling about.

A

alti

make sure you get a test kit that has tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. you will need to measure these levels as you are cycling. after you put the water in the tank, add a couple of shrimp from the grocery store. after a couple of days you should start getting ammonia readings. after the ammonia has risen a bit you will start to see nitrites. when the nitrites appear the ammonia should start going down. when the nitrite peaks you will start to see nitrate levels begin to increase. then the nitrite will go away and all you have is nitrate and your tank is cycled. wait at least another week before you add any fish to the tank and test the water daily to make sure you doint see any levels of ammonia or nitrite. this is just an explanation of what your test kits will read. i recommend that you do some research to find out what is actually happening to your tank during the cycling process.