I don't understand the Geico/Billie Jean King commercial

pontius

can somebody explain this to me?
Caveman: "I can't believe I'm beating Billie Jean King"
King: "you're not beating me. in fact, you haven't got a serve in"
Caveman: "why don't you take a gander at the SCOREBOARD!"
camera then shows the scoreboard and Caveman is LOSING 6-0, 6-0, 5-0.
why would he assume that he's winning if he hasn't even got a serve and the scoreboard clearly shows that he's losing??? is he supposed to be retarded or something?? The whole premise of these commercials when they first started was that the cavemen were intelligent and very evolved and were insulted that getting insurance was supposed to be "so easy a caveman could do it".
am I missing something? the original caveman commercials were great, but it seems they've got some new writers that may be dumber than cavemen.
could it be that Geico wants to prove that Cavemen are so stupid that they can lose a tennis match and think they actually won it? thus proving that Cavemen really ARE stupid and that getting insurance really IS easy? but even that's kind of defeated, since all the commercials have shown that the Cavemen HATE Geico, so I can't imagine them wanting Geico insurance.
these commercials have jumped the shark.

ruaround

he is too stupid to realize he is losing, but he is "smart" enough to use Geico... im not sure they ever conveyed that they were smart... just that they were offended that Geico would insinuate that cavemen were stupid... and now perhaps they are showing that they are stupid...

miaheatlvr

I dont understand the one where they get of their bikes and see the girls,, and then the sign and get back on the bikes again?? So what if the saw the sign, they didnt know they where cavemen when they took their helmets off? And the one where he goes to the beach and his girl is going to take off her shorts and sees a plane fly by with the Geico sign and he says "i wait in the car" What she didnt know he was a caveman all along? Talk about SHARK JUMPING!

pontius

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2841175
he is too stupid to realize he is losing, but he is "smart" enough to use Geico... im not sure they ever conveyed that they were smart... just that they were offended that Geico would insinuate that cavemen were stupid... and now perhaps they are showing that they are stupid...
well, in the 2nd commercial, where the spokesman apologizes to them, they are at a very nice looking restaurant.
in one commercial, the caveman is in an airport on what appears to be a business trip.
in one, they are at a party in a penthouse.
in one, they're on a Larry King type show explaining all the things that Cavemen have accomplished.
in a recent one, the caveman is at a pro basketball game.
they are obviously well off enough to be able to afford motorcycles.
in another recent, the caveman is on a secluded beach with a VERY hot girl.
I wouldn't think they would be able to do any of these things if they weren't meant to be smart and affluent. seems to me the writers of the Billie Jean King commercial missed the whole point. in none of the commercials have I got the insinuation that they're meant to be stupid. in fact, they're supposed to be the OPPOSITE of what the Geico people originally thought they were when they said "so easy a caveman could do it".

jdl

the fact that you are talking about the commercials and can explain the scenes = win for the ad. Everytime you see a sign or a caveman you probably think of Geico now. This is a a great move by the ad makers of geico.
Some commercials on tv i dont even know what they are advertising.

aquaknight

Agree 100% Pontius. This is the one commercial that's bugging the crap out of me.
The best I can come up with, is it pays homage to the famous "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, which makes enough sense. The thing I don't get, is this would label the Cavemen as a 'male chauvinist' but being as socially sophisticated as the cavemen are suppose to be, this doesn't work?

pontius

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/2842376
the fact that you are talking about the commercials and can explain the scenes = win for the ad. Everytime you see a sign or a caveman you probably think of Geico now. This is a a great move by the ad makers of geico.
actually, they've been showing these cavemen ads for about 3 years now and I've yet to go out and buy Geico insurance, so I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a "win" for them.
when Olive Garden advertises the "never ending pasta bowl", that's something I usually go out and get. therefore, THAT is a win for them, and I have no idea what their commercials are about other than the never ending pasta bowl.
Geico has made a great series of commercials with these cavemen, but now they've obviously jumped the shark with the Billie Jean King thing because it makes no sense at all when compared with the rest of the cavemen commercials.