I feel HORRIBLE!!!

tifosi

I had a green chromis that suddenly was harrassed by the others. Blotchy and always hiding. He wouldn't come out to even eat. I put him in isolation so the others wouldn't bother him. Wasn't getting any better. He became really thin and a couple of days ago he started a stationary top hover leaning to the side. He lost all his color I was feeling really bad for him. I didn't want him to suffer anymore. I flushed him hoping that it will be quick. Now I just feel really bad because he wasn't 'dead'. Someone please tell me it was the thing to do so I can feel alittle better about my decision.

usinkit

Next time you have to put a fish out , put him in a cup of saltwater and put it in the freezer. That kinda puts them to sleep.

joker_ca

the freezer way is a good way to let them go to that big ocean in the sky
but not to be mean you should of not introduced just one, chromis are schooling fish taht need to be kept in groups, just one alone would have been bullied to the point of death since they are shy fish

tifosi

What I ment by being harrassed by others, I ment other chromis's. He was one of three.
I also heard about the freezer method but forgot all about it.

pinktail

I have flushed damsels down the toilet numerous times also. Never heard of the freezer method. Will try it next time...

fishy411

actuallly that way means they take a while to die. Just grab one in a towle and smack its heads against something really Hard.

cubfan

I don't think there really is a good way to put down a fish. However, whacking it or cutting its head off with a scalpel to insure a quick death seems the most humane to me.

lefty

Well, it's just so violent that I don't think it's the best idea. That's why we don't use a guillotine on people anymore. Sure, it's quick and painless, but it seems cruel. It's also why we euthanize animals instead of shoot them. The freezer method is like putting them to sleep; as is euthanasia and lethal injection. If I were to have to put a fish down, I would use the freezer method.
-lefty

jazzfish

I read in Conscientious Aquarist that freezing is actually traumatic for fish (something about the blood vessels bursting.) If you really care for its comfort, the best way is to plunge a paring knife into the back of the head severing the brain and spinal column. Remember this is for the fish's comfort, not yours.:notsure:

lefty

I have heard that the fish's brain may still be active for up to ten seconds after the cut is made.
I still think the best way is to put some water in the freezer until it is almost frozen and proceed to place the fish in it. The difference between the temperature of the tank and the freezing water causes an instant fatal shock to the fish's nervous system. I have never done this myself, as I received my first fish two days ago, but if I ever had to put one of them down, I would use this method. :)
-lefty

fishy411

Originally posted by lefty
I have heard that the fish's brain may still be active for up to ten seconds after the cut is made.
I still think the best way is to put some water in the freezer until it is almost frozen and proceed to place the fish in it. The difference between the temperature of the tank and the freezing water causes an instant fatal shock to the fish's nervous system. I have never done this myself, as I received my first fish two days ago, but if I ever had to put one of them down, I would use this method. :)
-lefty

Yeah they go into shock and then freeze to death. Would u like to freeze to death. i think not.

magooo2

actuallly that way means they take a while to die. Just grab one in a towle and smack its heads against something really Hard.

Now that is some funny S&*t

gman

I read the most humane way of destroying a fish is to place in a small container that containes 5 parts water to 1 part vodka.
I've yet to try it but it seems to make sence
Gman

veganman

The AVMA per their website, has a report on euthanasia, I think it's page 687, where they recommend against regular freezing, but FLASH FREEZING is okay for fish. (get the liquid nitrogen or dry ice out)
Decapitation or severing the spinal cord are both ugly but believed to be the most instant death. On another site this is discussed and the comparison to freezing to death or being shot (in the head) was made. Good point. With freezing, in a regular freezer, the bloodstream begins to crystalize with ice before the electrical activity in the brain has ceased. So, conceivably the fish could still feel excruciating pain.
The AVMA document is a good read though.
Remember, the idea here is quick and painless.

clown52

Or you could just drop em in some good ole Jack Daniels. At least then they wont remember you doing it......or anything else for that matter.
Honestly I have only flushed fish in the past, but sooner or later one is gonna be too big so a more humane way would be nice. Not sure I could bring myself to chop or bash em though. :nope: