I found a 20 gallon set-up is it a good deal

dvswetwilly

i found a 20 gallon eclpise with a sand, heater,and other stuff for $277 is that a good deal? I found that this tank will fit perfect in my room with limited space
[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: DVSwetwilly ]

In a 12 gallon it would be more like a fish then fishs.But why do want to start so small it would be better if you started with something bigger like a 30 to 50 gallon size tank.

mark24

For a starter get as big as you can afford. The smaller the tank the more difficult (in general) it will be. Its alot easier to take care of a like 55 gallon tank than a 12 gallon one.
-Mark

salttrigger

Theres people here with small tanks and they had nice reef little tank,they keep fish that dont grow bigger than 4 inch(1 or 2), like some of the clowns,1 or 2 corals and a anemone.
[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Salttrigger ]

heath

-first off, you wrote 20g right?
others i think are getting it confused w/ the 12g eclipse system.
20g is small but do-able, depending solely on you, if you are very diligent and attentive to water quality and the evaporation rate it can work well.
good little fish are-
neon gobies, 6-line wrasse
some clowns get big, so a little false or percula might work-
but that's about it.
oh, and you can always make up for fish by putting some interesting critters in- blue legs, scarlet, cleaner shrimp or coral banded- etc
is the tank currently stocked with more than sand?
$277 seems a little steep for a tank and heater and sand and stuff...
OMG- you mean STAND, not sand??? that makes a diff...
heath
[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: heath ]

just to give an example, right now im running a 20 gallon long tank, with 55 watt smart light, 40 pounds of live sand, with a cleaner shrimp, pepermint shrimp, a blue hippo tang(baby) and a true perc clown with a blue devil damsel(of course i have a sump) however the tank is thriveing
for filteration i have in the sump another 20 pounds of live sand,about 15 pounds of live rock in the sump(about 21 pounds total) and a remora protine skimmer which is a good skum sucker