I Found It!!!

stupid_naso

About a month ago, I bought 2 juvenile, about 1 in, false perculas (tank-raised). One of them died of starvation, but the other one survived. I let him be for a month. About two weeks ago, I felt sorry for the little guy and decided that I want to get him a friend. However, people in this board told me if I want to get another clown it better be smaller than what I have. Well finding one clown that is less than 1 in is HARD.
I waited and waited. Last Wednesday, I went back to the LFS and saw a bunch of juvenile false percs. Believe it or not, I found one smaller than an inch :eek:. He's a little baby perc, very healthy, and very active :).
Acclimated him, and left him for the rest of the night with the lights off. Well the old clown certainly didn't do that. He chased him around ever since the first day the new one got in. The funny thing is the new clown doesn't care. He doesn't fight back at all. Well I guess he's the male. After two days, they are both chasing each other it almost looks like they're playing. Of course the big one chases the small one but after he got caught the small one swims with the big one. The same thing has been happening all day today.
OK, after all that. Are they pairing up? Obviously they're both juveniles. What sort of signs should I look for to know that they're pairing up? I know that in order to find out for sure I have to wait until they spawn, but how do I know if things are going the way they're supposed to go? I'll get a picture as soon as the camera is available.
Oh yeah, I don't have any anemone for them to share and I'm not planning to get one. I'm still waiting for them to host in one of my corals.
Thanks,
stupid_naso

dima96

same thing happened to me. bought 2 one died, later bought another 1. it's been about 9 monthes and they are fine. but they have different hosts, one in my pink tip and the other in the frogspawn. they may or may pair long term but chances are pretty good they will.

overanalyzer

having the same thing going in my tank now - the male will shake or shimmy when he wants to let the mamma know that he is aware that she is dominant .... plus once they start paring off the female will sway up against hte male and wiggle her fins for him .... family sat and watched the 20 gallon tonight - that was the highlight until a blue leg fell off a rock and that became the thing to watch - this crab getting up off of his back ....
good luck!

wrassecal

Same thing happened to me. I couldn't find a smaller false perc and ended up getting one the same size. While it was acclimating my lone clown would swim up to the bag and look like it was having a seizure:eek: At first I freaked, until I remembered they do that. Then they went through the chasing thing yours are for about a week and now a couple months later they just swim and hang out and sleep together. They are still the same size. The only thing they host is a powerhead, even with great furry mushrooms available. They are so goofy but so cool.:D

stupid_naso

Debi,
Yeah so far my clowns have been playing with the powerhead. Nothing else, not torch not shrooms, not leather. I'm still waiting :). Indeed, I agree, they're very goofy. My two clowns really look like they're playing tags.
overanalyzer,
I do the same, without the family though. I can watch my tank for half an hour, just smiling and laughing by myself (wait that sounds weird, oh well :D). Eventually I fell asleep right in front of my tank (no, I don't have any sleeping disorder). Aquarium is very soothing and relaxing to watch.
I cannot wait for them to actually pair up and swim together. I can't wait to post a pic, I'm still waiting for the camera... :rolleyes:

stupid_naso

I just took this just now. The battery was running low so I couldn't get a better picture. Here's a pic of the two clown with a yellow toadstool that I just got earlier today.
stupid_naso

sheree

I have a large Tomato clown that hasnt accepted ANY other clown near it. Chased and nipped till I had to remove the newcomer. Well....I sorta fixed that. Bought "it" a new mate...put the larger/older clown in a small clear plastic tank with a top.(like they sell for hamsters)...submergered that in a 10gal...with the new mate free to swim around the meany clown....took only 3 days for the meany to accept its new friend. Now they are ok and hopefully will "do their thing" in the near future.
Their tank has sand and they kick it everywhere...covering everything. Gave them a flowerpot to spawn in..things are looking hopefull.