I fragged it!

missnano

OK, so i went ahead and fragged my xenia red sea pom pom. I clipped it, put it on a rock then put a net around it with a band. See pic. Look good so far? I was nervous..
hope all turns out alright!

nissan577

you have hair algae?! take it off. you another way of fragging it is placing a rubble next to it and within a week it moves over a stalk. looking good so far tho!

trainfever

Congrats! It looks great. This time next week, remove the netting and you will have a perfectly fragged Xenia.
As far as the hair algae, try to cut back on your phosphates, thats the number one cause for hair algae.

missnano

Cut back on my phosphates? What do you mean. Sorry i am kinda new to the tank still. Pretty excited, the remaining stalk i guess was slightly attached cause when i cut the stalk on the right the two stalks on the left xenia's went in, they are still in and not extended but there pulsing. Will they go back to being fully extended and pulsing? Hope it will be alright

trainfever

Yes they will be fine. Tomorrow you wont even notice anything unusual other than the one stalk being shorter. After a few days, the ut stalk will smooth over and then start to grow and in a week or two you will have another grown stalk.
Phosphates can come from many places. Do you stick your hands in your tank alot? Soap is a big cause of phosphates, dont use soap when clean your hands before putting them in the tank, just give them a good rinsing off. Another cause of phosphates could also be your water. Are you using tap water? Most city water is high in phosphates. There are plenty of items on the market that will reduce phosphates.

missnano

ah, ok! Thanks.. They are already fully extended pulsing again. So no worry! So hopefully the fragged piece i put on the rock will do just as well.
I just checked the fragged piece i put on the rock ya know, it is pulsing thru the net...is that ok?

missnano

ya, today the band came loose so i had to take it out and put the band back on. (I did this as quick as i could) They came back out thru the net again, but arnt pulsing.. Hope they will be ok..

missnano

Not sure if my stalk that i cut is doing so well.. What can i do to help it. Is kinda shrunk in size.. is that normal? The other one i fragged still has not attached it's self to the rock either.. i dont even know if i have the bottem face down on the rock.. does that matter? If so that might be why it has not attached it's self

missnano

The only thing is the piece i cut left on my rock, is not doing well at all. It is shrunk up and got really small , its like almost gone its so small. What can i do to get it back in great health. The rest of my xenia is doing well thou, it is just the piece i cut.