I got a letter from the democrats.

socal57che

It kinda negates the decades we spent teaching kids that drugs are bad, doesn't it? Well, sorry kids, we were wrong. California says it's ok to smoke yourself some dope.
If it's legal, will insurance companies be required to.....nevermind. Insurance companies are about to become extinct.
Will it be sold in grocery stores near the alcohol, or behind register #8 like the cigarettes?
This is just another reason why I find it so incredibly hard to vote for a democrat. They are asking me to send the message to my kids that smoking dope is ok. I feel sorry for the people that are sending this message to their kids. The incredible thing is that this crap will actually be on the ballot next month.
http://www.modbee.com/2010/10/10/1378003/legal-pot-concerns-educators.html

stdreb27

Like they joked during the clinton years. If tobacco companies wanted to get a pass, why not just make it illeagal. Then the dems wouldn't be going after them all gangbusters.

reefraff

Legalization is a two edged sword. Currently the illegal drug trade causes more harm to innocent bystanders than Marijuana itself. However if Marijuana is legalized users are going to have to accept that THC in their system is proof they are under the influence. Unfortunately for them it stays in your system long after you are under the influence so if you are suspected of DUI or get drug tested at work you are hosed. Your right to smoke "herb" doesn't trump my right not to get killed by a stoned driver or co workers.
All that said I favor legalization. I've been stoned and drunk. I'd rather be on the road with someone stoned than drunk any day. It would also raise a buttload of money for California PLUS save a lot of money on enforcement. Of course they will spend a whole lot defending this in court should it pass. Feds aren't going to let California or any other state tap into that revenue stream without Uncle Sam getting their cut.

fishtaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats#post_3318466
Legalization is a two edged sword. Currently the illegal drug trade causes more harm to innocent bystanders than Marijuana itself. However if Marijuana is legalized users are going to have to accept that THC in their system is proof they are under the influence. Unfortunately for them it stays in your system long after you are under the influence so if you are suspected of DUI or get drug tested at work you are hosed. Your right to smoke "herb" doesn't trump my right not to get killed by a stoned driver or co workers.
All that said I favor legalization. I've been stoned and drunk. I'd rather be on the road with someone stoned than drunk any day. It would also raise a buttload of money for California PLUS save a lot of money on enforcement. Of course they will spend a whole lot defending this in court should it pass. Feds aren't going to let California or any other state tap into that revenue stream without Uncle Sam getting their cut.
Your right about the drug testing at work, a lot of places will immediately give you a drug test if you are hurt and if you test positive for THC you are screwed, but another guy will be hung-over or still drunk from the night before and they get a free-pass, I never really understood the double standard there.
I do see some problems with legalization though if they taxe it very heavily since if it is legal everywhere in California from San Fran on down is pretty much a year round grow area and I would think most smokers with backyards would just grow their own. I could also see this leading to a lot of home invasion type crime since even if it is legal, since there is going to be an instant black market for non-taxed pot.
So even if they legalize it, it is going to be extremely hard to tax. I don't fall into the trap of drawing a line between pot and alcohol and as easy as pot is to get I don't really think more children will be using and around here the absolutely worst drug related behavior and problems are connected to meth use.
Fishtaco

ironeagle2006

For those of you that think Marijunia is not a Dangerous Drug. Here is an Article to read even though I hate the source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Maryland_train_collision This is what happened when ONE 2 person crew had a Joint and their actions led to a Crash that killed 16 people. So if your in California think before you vote because that person driving next to you could be higher than a kite like Mr Gates was that day and slam into you a School Bus full of kids a Proplane Tanker on the Freeway or even a Gasoline Tanker on the highway. People that are in Saftey Sensitive functions like OTR Drivers or RR Workers or Airline Workers can not use it luckily however some idiot will be on it next to us sooner or later.

fishtaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats#post_3318480
For those of you that think Marijunia is not a Dangerous Drug. Here is an Article to read even though I hate the source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Maryland_train_collision This is what happened when ONE 2 person crew had a Joint and their actions led to a Crash that killed 16 people. So if your in California think before you vote because that person driving next to you could be higher than a kite like Mr Gates was that day and slam into you a School Bus full of kids a Proplane Tanker on the Freeway or even a Gasoline Tanker on the highway. People that are in Saftey Sensitive functions like OTR Drivers or RR Workers or Airline Workers can not use it luckily however some idiot will be on it next to us sooner or later.
Basically anything that affects brain function is a dangerous drug and if those guys where not smoking a J, they probably would have been brown bagging it. I think the whole thing boils down to personnal responsibility and I.Q. My wife works with people who are high as heck off of precription drugs all day at work because boo-hoo, life is sometimes hard and they not happy 24 hours a day and that is perfectly legal and they are driving back and forth to work every day. I think there are a lot more idiots on the road than just those smoking weed.
Fishtaco

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats#post_3318480
And that is one thing about the pro pot folks that makes me crazy. Ain't no such thing as a safe drug. Just because weed isn't as harmful as alcohol and being stoned doesn't impair you as much as being plastered there is no such thing as a safe drug. This "herb" contains a chemical, dare I call it a drug that alters your state of mind.
Legalization CAN work but not on a state by state basis even if the feds would allow it. There will need to be strict and severe laws for illegal cultivation and distribution. Most people wont risk their house to grow their own just to save 10 bucks a joint or whatever the tax would be.

socal57che

Weed was only the first drug I used. (second to alcohol) It was a stepping stone to things like mushrooms, ****** and soma. It was my beer buying people who could also get weed. It was my weed people that could also get shrooms and pills. It was my pill people that could also get coke. See a pattern? So, where does it stop? Will opium users complain because the weed smokers get a "free pass" like the beer drinkers? How long before cocaine is legalized. I know coke users that drive safely. If we continue to move the gaurd rail back, we will eventually fall over the cliff.
I am clean and I don't miss those days in the least. My use hurt people that loved me. Weed is illegal for a reason. We're not talking about oregano here, guys.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57che http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats#post_3318520
Weed was only the first drug I used. (second to alcohol) It was a stepping stone to things like mushrooms, ****** and soma. It was my beer buying people who could also get weed. It was my weed people that could also get shrooms and pills. It was my pill people that couls also get coke. See a pattern? So, where does it stop? Will opium users complain because the weed smokers get a "free pass" like the beer drinkers? How long before cocaine is legalized. I know coke users that drive safely. If we continue to move the gaurd rail back, we will eventually fall over the cliff.
I am clean and I don't miss those days in the least. My use hurt people that loved me. Weed is illegal for a reason. We're not talking about oregano here, guys.
I think I smoked it like 6 times in my life, didn't like the high. My brother sold coke for a long time but started with selling weed. Amazing the difference in clientele. The weed buyer generally had cash. Coke buyers would be trading TV's guns, jewelery etc. I know a few long time pot smokers, one over 40 years, who haven't stepped up. I am sure many do which is another danger of using but no more than with alcohol. Never done coke so I don't know how that compares to being drunk but based on how addictive it is I wouldn't consider legalizing it.

darthtang aw

All the crap going on in our country and the democratic party sends you a letter about legalizing weed. I guess I see the high level importance in that.
Darth (not) Tang

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats#post_3318527
I think I smoked it like 6 times in my life, didn't like the high. My brother sold coke for a long time but started with selling weed. Amazing the difference in clientele. The weed buyer generally had cash. Coke buyers would be trading TV's guns, jewelery etc. I know a few long time pot smokers, one over 40 years, who haven't stepped up. I am sure many do which is another danger of using but no more than with alcohol. Never done coke so I don't know how that compares to being drunk but based on how addictive it is I wouldn't consider legalizing it.
I know at least 20-30 pot smokers who have NEVER stepped up to anything higher on the "drug scale"

stdreb27

I find it quite interesting. Not using here, but everywhere I"ve seen this argument, it has been the pot smokers who argue for it, and the non smokers who argue against it...

aquaknight

No on the basis that the 'kinks' aren't worked out yet. As mentioned above, there is not currently an accurate way to test 'how under the influence' someone is. I simply can't imagine that legalizing weed would also mean that if you used a legal product, you couldn't drive or work for 30 days or however long THC stays in your system. (as I understand it, it's simply a Yes/No test, you either test positive or negative for THC. Not like a BAC reading)
I've used this example many times, but also who would get to use legal weed? By that, if I lived in apartment/condo/etc, I, in theory, could consume as much alcohol (just a reference, not directly comparing) as I wanted and none of my neighbors would know I did. But if I were to smoke weed and that said apartment, the tenant above my apartment would definitely know, with the very strong, unpleasant (to me at least
) odor that smoking weed puts out penetrates into their apartment as well. What if that tenant above me, was a single mother with 2 young kids, do I have that right to make them put up with that? And whatever side-effects come along?

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats#post_3318563
No on the basis that the 'kinks' aren't worked out yet. As mentioned above, there is not currently an accurate way to test 'how under the influence' someone is. I simply can't imagine that legalizing weed would also mean that if you used a legal product, you couldn't drive or work for 30 days or however long THC stays in your system. (as I understand it, it's simply a Yes/No test, you either test positive or negative for THC. Not like a BAC reading)
I've used this example many times, but also who would get to use legal weed? By that, if I lived in apartment/condo/etc, I, in theory, could consume as much alcohol (just a reference, not directly comparing) as I wanted and none of my neighbors would know I did. But if I were to smoke weed and that said apartment, the tenant above my apartment would definitely know, with the very strong, unpleasant (to me at least
) odor that smoking weed puts out penetrates into their apartment as well. What if that tenant above me, was a single mother with 2 young kids, do I have that right to make them put up with that? And whatever side-effects come along?
Thats one of the things that will have to be placed in a legalization law. THC in your system can be used against you in court if you are cracked for DUI. Sucks but it is evidence of use of a drug so....
There is an issue here now with people using "medical marijuana
" failing corporate drug tests. Well last I heard if you needed morphine for pain you wouldn't be cleared to work either. It has to be like the Ricky Williams syndrome. You have to decide what's more important, weed or work.

ironeagle2006

Well I can tell you this Booze is Legal however the DOT finds it in your System say Bye-Bye to your CDL if your a Commercial Driver of anykind. Remember this THC stays in you for 30 days and does effect you for that time even if you do not think it does. Sorry I have seen it way to many times in my life and hate that people say it is a Safe Drug. I take Medication for what is wrong with me and on that list is nothing that hits you like THC like Lung Cancer Throat Cancer other forms of cancer at 6-8X's the rate of Cigarette smoke.