I Got My Rhinopius

halamaya

I finally got my Rhinopius today.
I hope he does well in my tank. Going to take a few pictures tomorrow, had to post something.
He's been in an aquarium for quite awhile now, and he was driven up here in about 10 gallons of water. It was the first Rhinopius they have ever sold, and they've been around for 20 years. This Rhinopius might be the only one in Burlington Vermont.
Makes me a bit nervous, going to do my best.

bill109

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3193212
I finally got my Rhinopius today.
I hope he does well in my tank. Going to take a few pictures tomorrow, had to post something.
He's been in an aquarium for quite awhile now, and he was driven up here in about 10 gallons of water. It was the first Rhinopius they have ever sold, and they've been around for 20 years. This Rhinopius might be the only one in Burlington Vermont.
Makes me a bit nervous, going to do my best.

i done know a thing about aggressive tanks.. what is it?! lol
sounds sweet

cranberry

CONGRATS!
We just saw another one locally for a really good price. Not that we need another, but I don't know if we can pass it up for being so cheap.
I can't wait to see the pics!

halamaya

He was a nice soft yellow in the store but I'm hoping he goes more pink in my tank. Going to keep the lights off for today, and hope he gets adjusted well. He's eatting mysis shrimp so far, no krill, no tuffies or guppies. Do really want to see him eat some Ghost shrimp though.

fmarini

Awesome-
Beautiful Rhinopias Eschmeyersi. Just curious- its hard to get a reference of size-how big or small is this lad?
Also is your tank highly colorful, or predominated by coraline or another strong color? R.eschmeyersi are one of the rhinopias that can color adapt, like an angler.
Wow Burlington VT, i know of a few folks in the Maine, NH, and boston Ma area w/ these fish.I suspect the reason your LFS hadn't sold on in 20yrs is that up until the past 2 or 3 yrs these fish costs thousands, and saddly now they are not terribly expensive.
Congrats again

cranberry

Greg and I just saw one at the LFS for $250!!! I think we bought ours a year too early. O.O
My eschy turns a different colour every day. I put different supplements in the cavities of food like silversides. Since I've started messing around with it, the colours of my fish are just popping.
Ours started yellow.....
That fish looks awesome!

S

saxman

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3193298
I think they might become friends, I hope.

that P. rubripinnis
is food-size for the Rhino. i'm afraid that if the Rhino is hungry, and the waspfish is in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's lunch.
as i'm sure you know, Cranberry and i keep our smaller scorps/wasps in a different tank.
nice-looking Eschmeyer's tho. congrats!
*back to lurking*

fmarini

Saxman-- zoinks- didnt even see that little scorp.
Saddly its bite-sized. So like you i would fear the worse.
I said this in another thread- but venom doesnt not preclude being eaten. Anglers and large scorpionfish readily feast on each other, so like saxman states-- i would think your best served by moving him out of the rhinopias tank
Cranberry, i too have seen a few $200.00 rhinopias and i cry about this. These are fairly rare fish and have remained rare and exclusive because their price was extremely high(except for the japanese hobbyists)- now w/ the price dropping precipitously, i fear these fish will soon be collected like crazy and not treated w the reverence they deserve

halamaya

I scored a deal on this guy for only 200 bucks. Still to the average hobbyist I would say 200 is a lot. I know it makes me nervous. My Waspfish is pretty smart, like Cranberry said once upon a time, when he can't catch her he will just give up hopefully. My Rhinopius is about 5 inches long maybe 6. I'm so nervous though, what are some signs that he's doing well or poorly besides the obvious things. He's moving around the tank sitting in different spots, checking them out I think. Going to gutt load a bunch of ghost shrimp tomorrow.
Glad to hear from you Mr. Cranberry, (I remember reading you write that on one of your posts, and thought it was pretty funny.) Thanks for all the help I might just have to bring her back to the LFS. She was pretty good at avoiding my Lions hungry eye, and eventually he seemed to no longer see the waspfish as food. Cross your fingers everyone. Just curious but do you two have seperate tanks or do you do all of them together?

cranberry

My reference to the giving up was for a quick damsel.... and all he actually gave up was leaping at him to take on another strategy.... the waiting game. The damsel stayed towards the top behind the rockwork. He would have gotten it eventually, but I didn't want to have to keep feeding the damsel.
I have no doubt he'll be able to catch that waspfish.
We have 13 tanks.... nobody is together that could possibly eat anyone else.

cranberry

Just in case my first response sounded like it had "tone", I was just clarifying to make sure ya got what I was saying. I wouldn't want you taking a risk because of something I said.... that would totally bum me out.

small triggers

Hey Cranberry, I hope no one took it the wrong way just seemed like you were clarifying to me,,,,,, and what the heck is whacky tobacky?? I live in WA and all but uhhh thats a new one i think..

halamaya

Talking about smoking weed. I think I will buy a new gun instead of new fish next time. Gotta love Vermont.

halamaya

LOL, Just in case, I was talking about target shooting. It's really fun, my Dad and I have a great time doing it.