I got my Umbrella mushroom I ordered from this site. ??

jhuggins

The Umbrella Mushroom looks great. In order to get it to attach to a rock what should I do. I have read that people use rubberbands. Doesn't that hurt the coral? :help: I know it must have just gone through allot already. How long would I leave the rubberband on? Won't it sqeaze it in half? Sorry so many questions I just want the best results

steve24

super glue won`t work on shrooms. i use pieces of mesh netting from like a bag apples come in, lay the shroom on the rock and then wrap the mesh netting around them. within a week the shroom will be attached to the rock...

30-xtra high

i superglued my shroom to rock and its fine.. and mesh doesn't always work that great.. sometimes to loose and just falls off, sometimes to tight and cuts crosslines into the shroom..

jhuggins

so just turn the shroom upside down and add the superglue to the back of it? That sounds harm to the mushroom? Well as long as it lives I will try it. Thanks, Anyone else have a solution. Will the rubberband not work?

nigerbang

I have used Super Glue also and had it work just fine..I always use the gel kind and blot the rock semi dry and blob the stuff on and stick and shake in the water to make sure its good and attached..

jhuggins

two people use glue with no problems. Sounds better then the ugly rubberband. Well it is purple so I guess it is not that ugly. Ok it is ugly. When I get home that sucker is going to be superglued. HaHa

stanlalee

super glueing mushrooms is not always that easy. If you arent quick and precise some will slime up quickly before it holds at which point it wont stick. Rubberband wont hurt the coral one bit (if it cut it in half that wont hurt it either, thats how mushrooms are often fragged), neither will netting or superglue. Try which ever sounds best to you. If it doesn't work go to plan B then C. Mine came attached to a peice of branch liverock and I got an extra one. Guess I was lucky.

frankthetank

I got some too. I bought two umbrellas and two rics, and I was totally surprised when I received them! I thought they'd be bigger. I'll have to glue mine as well. I have never bought single mushrooms and stuff, I always buy a cluster on a small sized rock. This will be slightly new experience for me.

jhuggins

It came out of the stupid rubber band and now I have glued it three times. I have no idea how it is still allive. I might take a powerhead out when I do my water change today. It just seems like to much current. How do you know if you have enough current?

fishgeek01

If you want to super glue your mushroom you need to do the following...
first take it and place it in a shallow dish that has sand in it. make it so the shroom can not get out of the container.
after a few days the shroom will have attached to some of the sand particles. Once it has, simply take it out of the water, dab the sand particles dry and the rock that it will be placed on as well. Apply a small amount of the super glue gel to the rock where you want the shroom, and place the shroom on the rock with the sand particle sin the glue. The glue doesn't usually hold to the flesh of the mushroom, just to slimy, but it will hold very well to the sand, long enough to allow the mushroom to attach to the rock you want it on

grips

Originally Posted by Fishgeek01
first take it and place it in a shallow dish that has sand in it. make it so the shroom can not get out of the container.
after a few days the shroom will have attached to some of the sand particles. Once it has, simply take it out of the water, dab the sand particles dry and the rock that it will be placed on as well. Apply a small amount of the super glue gel to the rock where you want the shroom, and place the shroom on the rock with the sand particle sin the glue. The glue doesn't usually hold to the flesh of the mushroom, just to slimy, but it will hold very well to the sand, long enough to allow the mushroom to attach to the rock you want it on
That's exactly what I do. I place mine in a small shallow dish (like the kind you get ketchup in from Red Lobster) and place wedding veil material over the top. Wait a few days, then glue it. Works like a charm.

jhuggins

I just used the top from a juice bottle. Then I placed a couple of rubber bands on the top of that. Looks like it should work

laredo300c

I just started changing my 55 fowlr to reef and my san antonio lfs gave me a single small small mushroom that was on the sand in the bottom of their coral tank......i got home put it in a bowl and a small piece of live rock...the next morning it was attached to that rock....three weeks later the mushroom is growing and is still attached to the rock.......

puffer32

I put my mushrooms in a corner of the tank that doesn't have much flow. I surround it with rubble and it always attaches to one of the pieces in a day or 2.

dwendler4

so shrooms are okay out of water for a couple days?

jhuggins

I think you put them in the cup with sand, and then put them back in the tank. That least that is what i did.

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by dwendler4
so shrooms are okay out of water for a couple days?
no i don't think a couple of days without water would be good for them... you want to put them in the dish and put the dish back in the water so that the shrooms will attach to the sand then take it back out of the water and proceed......

dwendler4

no i don't think a couple of days without water would be good for them... you want to put them in the dish and put the dish back in the water so that the shrooms will attach to the sand then take it back out of the water and proceed......
gotcha, thanks