I got some weld-on #4 and 16....NOW WHAT???

I am gonna try and build my own sump,soooooo I went out and got some weld-on 4 and 16,cut a couple of pieces of acrylic and tried to "glue" a couple of test pieces together,I just squirted some of the 16 on one end and tried to stick the other piece to it:rolleyes: ........needless to say this DOES NOT work (I can't stop laughing as I type this)
Well as you all can tell I know nothing about doing this,all's I want to do is build a basic box about 30"long 16" high and about 113/4" wide.I have heard that you need to stick some needles inbetween the 2 pieces,then squirt some of the weld-on with a needle.(insulin needles ok for this?)Other than that I am clueless......:D It does'nt have to be pretty,just functional;)
I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get:D
TIA,
David

nyfisherman

I BOUGHT AN APPLICATOR FROM THE SAME PLACE I BOUGHT THE WELD ON #4. ALL IT IS, IS A BOTTLE WITH A NEEDLE ON THE END OF IT. WELD ON #4 DRIES TO FAST TO BE BRUSHED ON. ALL I DID WAS PUT THE TWO PEICES TOGETHER CLAMP OR HOLD IN PLACE THEN YOU CAN APPLY THE WELD ON TO THE JOINT AND IT WILL BLEED INTO THE JOINT. THIS IS THE WAY IT DID IT I HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH BUBBLES BUT THAT WAS FROM NOT HAVING A COMPLETELY STRIAGHT EDGE. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WELD ON #16 AND I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO DO IT.

T

thomas712

With the 16 you do not need needles really just some thin nails. The idea here is to simply apply the 16 and start removing the nails to guide the two joints into place. Use the long clamps if you have em.
The #4 will wick into the seam, for this you need to apply with the syringe.
To make sure your mating surfaces are good, make sure that your cut edge is as perfect as you can then using a blowtorch on lowest setting flame polish the rough edge, be careful not to overheat. Try flame polishing a scrap piece first.
Thomas

broncofish

I don't use nails, just electrical tape. All you have to do is get your tank set up the way you want it, then electrical tape it all together. Go along the inside seems with the #16 from a syringe(IMO) and wait for it to dry. Next day water check, if there are any leaks identify, dry and stick some shaving were leaks appear, then use the #4

Thanks for the information,I think I will try the tape method and see how it goes.I only need to let it dry for a day before I test it?
David

I finally got the tanks built and water tested and everything was fine..........buttttttttttttttttttt...........I have a bowing problem.What I have found out is I need to put some sort of frame around the top of the tanks to keep them from bowing.Should the frame lay flat around the top or sticking out like a lip,should it be on the inside or outside.I was thinking for the fuge part I would just use some cross bracing,but for the sump that would hurt me trying to get to the skimmer and the pump.One more
thing how about drilling this stuff,I am gonna have my fuge gravity feed back to the sump so I need to drill a hole in the acrylic.........any help would be much appreciated.
David

alan929

if you can put some walls on the in side this will give you more support. Hope this will help you.
Alan

gatorcsm

Ok, good. Just finished a sump using weld-on 3. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a toxic version of it or something. I don't know too much about plexi, but it came out pretty nice.

I just made my first venture into acrylic also....The stand I have forced me into it........lol.I basically made 2 tanks one will be the sump and I am going to use the other as my fuge.For my first time I think it worked out pretty good.

It is no big deal to drill plexi. I used a hole saw and an 18v cordless drill. Dont try to press down really hard, just let the weight of the drill do the work.