I hate my loud pump- please help pick new one

superb

I currently run a coralife 1270
external pump on my 150aga. It is way, way too loud. I've been tolerating it for a year and want to move on up to something I can enjoy with out the loud hum.
I'll throw out a few idea's, please agree or shoot them down.
option #1: change to internal pump (sump) Mag-drive 24/18????
option #2: more expensive but stay external and just switch out the pump for say...a Iwaki MD70RLT????
let me know what you think.
p.s. i have already tried sound dampening material (cabinet)
thanks.

coachklm

your mags can be driven externally also so you wouldnt have to plug it . iwaki's are great pumps but do need maintenance(although not much) but many need oil.

lion_crazz

Iwaki's can be a bit loud sometimes.
I run external Gen X's and am very happy with those.
However, I have heard that Dolphin and Sequence makes the quietest pumps, by far. Check those 2 types out and see if they make any for your tank size.

saltfan

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Iwaki's can be a bit loud sometimes.
I run external Gen X's and am very happy with those.
However, I have heard that Dolphin and Sequence makes the quietest pumps, by far. Check those 2 types out and see if they make any for your tank size.
I too run a Gen-X 1500gph. Some noise, although its just the fan motor you hear. Those others are fine pumps, but in the long run, Quiet One pump, which is on the other side of my tank, is very quiet, and is the cheapest pump to run 24/7. I have researched the hell out of pumps, its really hard to beat the none noise level and the cost of the pump either. IMO, they are very good quiet pumps. When buying a pump, you should not only look at the cost of the pump, but what is the cost of running it 24/7. Quiet One Pump 4000 runs 50watts, thats 1017gph per hour, not many if only a couple can beat that, and the cost.

I

italianwjt

i have a mag drive, its intern/extern and its really quiet. ive had no problems

saltfan

Originally Posted by italianwjt
i have a mag drive, its intern/extern and its really quiet. ive had no problems
Yes, very good pump. The Mag and the Quiet One are the closest together as far as the others. But, to run the Mag cost more than the Quiet One reference to same GPH.

lubeck

I just removed my mag24 for my closed loop because it was too loud. VERY LOUD. just replaced with a 3600 DART sequence. it is exceptionally quite for gph. at least half the noise of the mag24

I

italianwjt

hmm sure it wasnt resting against someting?...sump, skimmer, another pump??

saltfan

Originally Posted by Lubeck
I just removed my mag24 for my closed loop because it was too loud. VERY LOUD. just replaced with a 3600 DART sequence. it is exceptionally quite for gph. at least half the noise of the mag24
Cool. What did that run ya?

acrylic51

Mags can be run external or submersible, but are known to not like to be turned on and off and have problems after a while with that......Iwaki pumps can be noisey from time to time as well, but some of it depends on if you have any noise dampening material underneath the pump and what type of tubing or PVC your using in your water return....You might be getting noise from your plumbing as well....
Dolphin pumps have been known to leak at the seals and don't have a good rep IMO in that area, but that might have been fixed.....If your looking for a good reliable pump I'd look at Sequence pumps and if money isn't an object the Red Dragon pumps which are the cream of the crop....HTH

hot883

My mag 24 is so loud, I am not using it right now. I have it inlined plumbed and sitting on the floor of the stand. Great flow, just to loud for me.

saltfan

Originally Posted by Lubeck
Installed over a $1000.00
Umm, you have got to be kidding me, right?

lubeck

I installed everything myself. For the ocean motion, scheduled 80 with 2 true ball valve unions (100 each) and DART pump. Yes it was that much. 500 for 4way, 200 for dart, 400 for pvc

acrylic51

Way to much money for the parts you bought.....Where are you buying your parts from Lubek? OM aren't $400.00

saltfan

Originally Posted by hot883
You can plumb the entire house for $400.
This is what I'm saying....WOW, thats alot of money for a pump and lines...WOW is all I can say. You can get high pressure rubber lines WAY cheaper than the schedule 80 your using.