I have a question about nitrogen cycling process

iwak hiu

hi friends.. I have a question about nitrogen cycling process..many experts say that cycling period is about 1-3 months.. I had set up my new FOWLR tank.. I put many liverock to my new tank.. I use external filter that contains of many liverocks too.. the liverocks are in a very good conditions because I had quarantine the liverocks in a pool with aerator for some months before I get it into my new tank.. after all I have a question.. Do I still must waiting for nitrogen cycling period for a long time?

novahobbies

The short answer is: Yes. Cycling is necessary, regardless of the rock in your tank.
Now for the good news: I don't think you will have to cycle for longer than 4 weeks. If the rock you added was fully cured, it will have a decent starter colony of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria already living in and on it.
Here's the main point, though: the bacteria colonies are probably only large enough to handle the waste they themselves produce!! Cycling the tank means developing bacteria colonies to the point where they can help process the added waste from the fish you wish to add...so even "cured" rock still doesn't really cycle your tank. The only addendum to this would be if you got the rock from a fully mature tank and it didn't die off during transport, but it doesn't sound like this is the case.
You should test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates now, then add a dead table shrimp to the tank for a few days, testing every day, to determine if you have an ammonia spike. If your ammonia spikes, you should settle back and wait for the cycle to complete (take the darn shrimp out of course!!) If your ammonia doesn't spike, you may have already cycled.
This hobby demands patience. Waiting for the cycle to complete is hard sometimes, but it can only help you in the long run...a correctly cycled mature tank will be far more forgiving and hospitable to your new fish when the time comes to add them.
By the way, why don't you post a little about your new tank? How many liters or gallons (unit of measure of your choice!!
) how much live rock, etc.... what do you plan to stock your tank with?

florida joe

Because you have live rock it doses not mean you have nitrifying bacteria on it.or denitrifying bacteria in it

iwak hiu

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3064684
The short answer is: Yes. Cycling is necessary, regardless of the rock in your tank.
Now for the good news: I don't think you will have to cycle for longer than 4 weeks. If the rock you added was fully cured, it will have a decent starter colony of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria already living in and on it.
Here's the main point, though: the bacteria colonies are probably only large enough to handle the waste they themselves produce!! Cycling the tank means developing bacteria colonies to the point where they can help process the added waste from the fish you wish to add...so even "cured" rock still doesn't really cycle your tank. The only addendum to this would be if you got the rock from a fully mature tank and it didn't die off during transport, but it doesn't sound like this is the case.
You should test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates now, then add a dead table shrimp to the tank for a few days, testing every day, to determine if you have an ammonia spike. If your ammonia spikes, you should settle back and wait for the cycle to complete (take the darn shrimp out of course!!) If your ammonia doesn't spike, you may have already cycled.
This hobby demands patience. Waiting for the cycle to complete is hard sometimes, but it can only help you in the long run...a correctly cycled mature tank will be far more forgiving and hospitable to your new fish when the time comes to add them.
By the way, why don't you post a little about your new tank? How many liters or gallons (unit of measure of your choice!!
) how much live rock, etc.... what do you plan to stock your tank with?
very thx for your advise and your help..haha ok I will tell a little about my new nano tank ..

iwak hiu

nano tank = 100 cm x 50 cm x 60 cm, 8 mm
sump = external filter. Filter contains of liverocks, med japan, bio ceramic ring, cotton, skimmer.
skimmer = jebo 520 series [needle wheel]
head pump = resun SP 6000
wave = 2x lifetech 1600
lightning = aquazonic T5ho 4 x 39 W
tank category = fish only with liverocks [FOWLR]
fish category = mix

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by iwak hiu
http:///forum/post/3064591
hi friends.. I have a question about nitrogen cycling process..many experts say that cycling period is about 1-3 months..
This period of time depends on the initial level of ammonia. The smaller the level the less time it will take.
I had set up my new FOWLR tank.. I put many liverock to my new tank.. I use external filter that contains of many liverocks too.. the liverocks are in a very good conditions because I had quarantine the liverocks in a pool with aerator for some months before I get it into my new tank.. after all I have a question.. Do I still must waiting for nitrogen cycling period for a long time?
If your rocks where live rocks, did you feed them while in the pool. If not then you must have had quite a bit of die off from them. Not sure how long you can keep live rock without feeding it. To make the story short, yes you will have to cycle your tank, specially for that size tank.