I have a question about pond fish

The aquarium is gone right now so I guess I will post it here.
This is the problem. My science teacher asked me to figure this out for her.
She has a pond with common goldfish in it.
The pond is greater than 18 in deep.
The sheet of ice at the top finally melted and the fish are coming out acting hungry.
She was told to feed them a little bit and she did.
When should she start feeding them again.
adam

ebeckels

Originally posted by Salisbury A D:
[QB}She was told to feed them a little bit and she did.
When should she start feeding them again.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>
You just said she fed them???? Doesn't that mean she already did start feeding them?

Sorry it is worded bad. I was on the way out the door.
But Yes she fed them once and wanted to know if she should start feeding them on a daily basis.
It frosts till around May.
This is Rhode Island.
So again she has fed them but wants to know when she should feed them on a daily basis.
Adam

S

sinner's girl

Is this a legit question or a riddle? if it's legit i can find out for you, my mom has an outdoor pond and lot's of pond books. let me know.
if it's a riddle i'm not thinking

It is NOT a riddle.
The pond is outside. More than 18" deep.
The weather here in RI Frosts till around May and the pond Opened up. As in the ice melted.
She asked a pond shop if she should feed them and they said feed them.
But she is not sure how much is too much. wAs that feeding supposed to be a one time thing untill spring or what.
When should she start feeding them daily.
Adam

chicki1957

Dont just take my word on this. But from what I know if the fish are cold and swimming sluggishly then they can't digest their food. My goldfish are kept just above freezing all winter and not fed. I start feeding them when I put them out and its warm. Then they need quite a bit. I guess it would all depend on the temp. I'd say if its 60 or above I would feed them twice daily.

S

sinner's girl

During the winter they don't eat as much. During the summer they can get a lot. My mom feeds her's once or twice a week during the winter. If she wants to keep the pond from freezing she can buy a heater or underwater lights. so maybe throw in a small hand full, if the fish aren't hungry they won't eat.
If they seem hungry then feed them, if they come to the top wanting food feed them, just a small handful.
My mom's has had a pond for over ten years, and this is what she says.
So feed the fish when they are hungry!
The pond book says as long as fish are active to feed them, if water goes under 45Degrees they go dorment. So if they are moving around and coming to the top feed them. but remember they won't eat as much as they do in the summer. but they still need/want food.

fishymissy

I am certainly no expert on ponds, never had one in fact, but if I remember correctly you aren't supposed to feed them until the water temp gets into the 50's and then the food you give them has to be the highly digestable kind, more grains than proteins. The diet will change to a more protein based food when the water temp goes higher. Be careful not to feed also if the temp is going to go down again soon, as they need time to digest in the lower temp, and if it gets too low, the food will rot in their gut.
Even though I don't have a pond, I read about them in the fish mags anyway......

prinny

We have started feeding ours. We watch to make sure they eat, and since they have we are continuing. Our ice is totally off of our pond, but ours is over 26 inches deep. Good luck.