I have a question - re: yellow colony polyps

djessem

My yellow colony polyps have been extended and looking good until 4 days ago when they retreated and have remained closed since......mushrooms and green colonys doing fine...any suggestions?

cincyreefer

Are you feeding them? Yellow polyps are non- photosynthetic so they only get food from filter feeding and target feeding. Try feeding them some brine shrimp and see if they open back up.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by cincyreefer
Are you feeding them? Yellow polyps are non- photosynthetic so they only get food from filter feeding and target feeding.

What makes you say that?
The species that come in our aquarium trade happen to be photosynthic, and contain zooxanthellae. The species from the Baltic Sea and Mediterranean (which are not being collected for our hobby and not collected for aquariums) do not contain zooxanthellae and are completely dependant on carnavorous foods.
The only source that I've read, that states yellow polyps do not have zooxanthellae, is Marine and Reef aquariums annual 2003 addition. On page 110, it clearly states:
"Yellow Colonial Polyps (Parazoanthus aximellae) do not house have zooxanthellae and reproduce readily in captivity." Even though Parazoanthus azimellae does not have zooxanthellae, as stated above, no one is collecting P. azimellae and it doesn't end up in the trade. One of many misleading "mistakes" in that magazine.
Take Care,
Graham :)

cincyreefer

You are right Graham, I misunderstood what I had been told by an expert in the field a few months ago while I was snorkeling...
I was told that yellow polyps can be kept in a tank with very little and even no lighting, provided that they are fed plenty of meaty foods. He also said that they will normally decline if they are not fed, even if they are kept under strong lighting. I took this as they did not contain zooxanthella, but my confusion is now cleared up. Thanks for not letting me spread this false information anymore! :cool:

spsfreak100

Originally posted by cincyreefer
I was told that yellow polyps can be kept in a tank with very little and even no lighting, provided that they are fed plenty of meaty foods.

If you're fine having yellow polyps without zooxanthellae, than you can house them under no lighting, provided if they are fed well. It's possible to have them live without any lighting :)
Take Care,
Graham

chinnyr

The shrimp you need to watch out for with yellow polyps are camel shrimp.They can devour an entire colony overnight.Also,I have found when I target feed mine they multiply like mad!I now have 4 colonies in my tank.Makes for good store credit trade-ins.

angelofish

How often should they be fed. This is my 3rd try with them.The first 2 died over some time and I never fed them directly. I fed them zooplankton each yesterday when should I feed next? Oh yeah. I also feed the tank phytoplankton.

chinnyr

I usually feed mine once a week with frozen brine shrimp.thaw a little in a cup with some tank water and use a turkey baster to gently target feed them.If you have some fish that are agressive eaters I suggest you feed them at the same time,otherwise they are likely to steal the food from the coral.

nm reef

I have a few flourishing colonies of yellow polyps that started as a single hitchhiker polyp. Just one has multiplied into hundreds over the past 2 years. They do like target feedings of meaty type foods and are very adaptable to lighting sources. I keep numerous snails/crabs and 4 peppermint shrimp and none of them seem to damage the yellow polyps. I actually would like to find a natural means of control for mine because they may eventually over run my system! I've come to believe they can be overly aggressive and actually border on being a pest!
Here is a recent pic of the largest colony in my reef...nasty aggressive growing little dudes....