I know EVERYTHING.......NO I DON'T!!!

hayden

I do come from a lengthy list of creature keeping.I have had cichlids for many years and reptiles everywhere.But, now I would like a reef tank.
Currently, I have a 75 gallon tank, 3 magnum 350 canister filters and a full lenght double bulb full spectrum zoo-med light strip for the top. I know some of this stuff is usefull still. Atleast the tank and filters right??? But, I know I need a protein skimmer. What works good with a 75gal.? Can I rely on the trank to filter itself with good circulation and use the filters as powerheads?? should I use one canister as a filter and the other as a powerhead??? Just get new powerheads???
I am also finding out that while metal halide lights are clearly superior to full spectrum flourescents. Does that mean I can't use FSF's for sufficient coral reef light? I have always given the advice to my fellow herps that," cheap is just that." But, is there an sufficient or great reef "coral friendly" bulb I can use in my existing light strip? or am I looking at a $700.00 and I should stop whinning.
I am like everyone esle.I am on a budget but, I am not afraid to get the essentials.
Thank you guys any help is appreciated.

geoj

Originally Posted by Hayden
http:///forum/post/3179997
I do come from a lengthy list of creature keeping.I have had cichlids for many years and reptiles everywhere.But, now I would like a reef tank.
Currently, I have a 75 gallon tank, 3 magnum 350 canister filters and a full lenght double bulb full spectrum zoo-med light strip for the top. I know some of this stuff is usefull still. Atleast the tank and filters right??? But, I know I need a protein skimmer. What works good with a 75gal.? Can I rely on the trank to filter itself with good circulation and use the filters as powerheads?? should I use one canister as a filter and the other as a powerhead??? Just get new powerheads???
I am also finding out that while metal halide lights are clearly superior to full spectrum flourescents. Does that mean I can't use FSF's for sufficient coral reef light? I have always given the advice to my fellow herps that," cheap is just that." But, is there an sufficient or great reef "coral friendly" bulb I can use in my existing light strip? or am I looking at a $700.00 and I should stop whinning.
I am like everyone esle.I am on a budget but, I am not afraid to get the essentials.
Thank you guys any help is appreciated.
Smart people know a lot of things, Intelligent people know where to look for the answer, A Genius knows when they are wrong…

T5s HO fluorescents
Power Compact fluorescents
Metal halide
Use the 3 magnum 350 canister filters
Yes on a protein skimmer

the_bandit

WELCOME!
First off, congradulations on getting the tank.
The Magnum canister filters are good but one should sufice for your tank.
You are going to need a protein skimmer. If you are looking to just have a protein skimmer that hangs on the back of the tank, Aqua C Remora is a very good brand.
Your other option is adding a sump and refugium. Its basically another tank that is smaller that sits underneath your tank.
A sump adds water volume and can house most equipment given its size. I would deffinelty recommend reading up on sumps and refugiums. The good thing about the sump is that you can keep a very large skimmer in the sump that is overrated for your tank but still gets the job well done.
A refugium is a place where you can grow Macroalgae that will absorb Nitrates. It also is a good place to grow copepods and store pesky critters or hitch hikers.
For lights, this is tough. If you are looking to keep corals, I would look at T5 Lighting fixtures. They run from $100-$700ish. They are really reliable and dont give off a ton of heat while still doing a good job at lighting up corals. Your other option is the big boys. The Metal Halides. You can buy them and mount them on a canopy or you can buy a lighting fixture. They are pretty expensive. If you want a combination of Metal Halide and T5's, a fixture like that can cost you about $1000. I would invest alot into good lighting. It will take you far if you choose wisely. I have a 4 bulb T5HO(High Output) 48'' lighting fixture that I got on E Bay for only $100 and it works great.
On skimmers, I would shop around and ask here, which would work best for you. Bring a couple brands and specs, post em here, and you should get a responce pretty quick. Skimmers are in the $200-$700 for really nice ones.
I would advise buying Koralia Powerheads. Probably #3's. Maybe two of em' That will be your main circulation along with the canister filters and/or sump if you decide. Or Maxi-jets but if you want the best, go with Vortechs.
Craigslist is your best friend in this hobby. Visit that site daily and you can get stuff at bare bone prices. The main 2 things you want to invest in are the Protein Skimmer and the Lights. Those are your too biggest essientials.
And like to everyone here, do not be afraid to ask the most dumb questions you could think of. I really couldnt have done my two tanks without this site.
Have fun. Take your time. Do TONS of research.

cajonez

I agree with the below post, I added some comments...
Originally Posted by The_Bandit
http:///forum/post/3180012
WELCOME!
First off, congradulations on getting the tank.
The Magnum canister filters are good but one should sufice for your tank.
You are going to need a protein skimmer. If you are looking to just have a protein skimmer that hangs on the back of the tank, Aqua C Remora is a very good brand.
Your other option is adding a sump and refugium. Its basically another tank that is smaller that sits underneath your tank.
A sump adds water volume and can house most equipment given its size. I would deffinelty recommend reading up on sumps and refugiums. The good thing about the sump is that you can keep a very large skimmer in the sump that is overrated for your tank but still gets the job well done.
A refugium is a place where you can grow Macroalgae that will absorb Nitrates. It also is a good place to grow copepods and store pesky critters or hitch hikers.
For lights, this is tough. If you are looking to keep corals, I would look at T5 Lighting fixtures. They run from $100-$700ish. They are really reliable and dont give off a ton of heat while still doing a good job at lighting up corals. Your other option is the big boys. The Metal Halides. You can buy them and mount them on a canopy or you can buy a lighting fixture. They are pretty expensive. If you want a combination of Metal Halide and T5's, a fixture like that can cost you about $1000. I would invest alot into good lighting. It will take you far if you choose wisely. I have a 4 bulb T5HO(High Output) 48'' lighting fixture that I got on E Bay for only $100 and it works great.Just as t5 don't put off much heat, MH do. if you live in a warmer climate where your temp is always high, MH could require a chiller or at least some surface fans to keep the temp down
On skimmers, I would shop around and ask here, which would work best for you. Bring a couple brands and specs, post em here, and you should get a responce pretty quick. Skimmers are in the $200-$700 for really nice ones.I have an octopus HOB, it seems to be working great on my 55g.
I would advise buying Koralia Powerheads. Probably #3's. Maybe two of em' That will be your main circulation along with the canister filters and/or sump if you decide. Or Maxi-jets but if you want the best, go with Vortechs.+1 on the koralia, they will create more of a dispersed flow as compared to a jet of water
Craigslist is your best friend in this hobby. Visit that site daily and you can get stuff at bare bone prices. The main 2 things you want to invest in are the Protein Skimmer and the Lights. Those are your too biggest essientials.I could have saved a **** ton of money, if I would have done another couple weeks of research on here and bought basic "ingredients" on CL, not everything needs to be brand new...
And like to everyone here, do not be afraid to ask the most dumb questions you could think of. I really couldnt have done my two tanks without this site. I have asked my shared of dumb ?s
Have fun. Take your time. Do TONS of research.

renogaw

two most important things to make sure you buy the BEST of are lights and skimmers. anything else is fluff...
as an option to the HK's, i actually love my maximod with the black impeller compared to the hk pumps.

hayden

Guys,
Thanks for the input. I was looking on ---- and CL. Basically, i am finding all kinds of stuff y'all are suggesting but at much lower prices than I had anticipated. I have found plenty of T5 bulbs and fixtures. The "buy it now" is fairly inexpensive.I am finding metal halide bulbs too. Also, inexpensively. I know this is supposed to be MY research project however, I do not know if these are the proper bulbs lights and fixtures because of the low price. If someone else has had experience with ---- I would be interested in knowing if these are scams(fake bulbs) or not the correct wattage. Also, will corals and inverts be happy with just T5HO's or is the MH an absolute must for them?
H

renogaw

like i said, dont' skimp on your lights...by buying where that feature is available, you are skimping... those lights have HORRID reviews everywhere that counts.
if you want a GREAT light setup, look into aquactinics. they have the tx5 and the upgrade to them.

flower

You don’t need bright expensive lights to have an awesome coral reef. There are lots of corals that do not require bright lights, they are expensive in personal time not the pocket book…here is a picture of a tank with only non photosynthetic coral.
The best color is found in the darkest places.

fretfreak13

Hey flower, is that a Blue Palm on teh sandbed in the first pic? Coolest coral..ever. Wish I could keep one. lol
Also, Hayden. I bought cheap PC (Power Compact) lights at my LFS in the beginning and I've been BEGGING for an upgrade to t5s for christmas. When you get addicted, you'll want the best. Its better to just start off with the best, and if you don't get totally hooked (which I doubt lol) you can always sell your equiment, ya know?

hayden

Actually, I know I will be an addict.I said I'd only get one tattoo and I'm now I'm covered, one fish tank and I have 2 soon to be 3.
My wife Jessica is the coolest.I was originally just going to piece a 100 gal. reef together using a tank I already had laying around and then I found one on-line (CRAIIIIIIIIIGS LIIIIIIIIIIIST). A total set up with a wood stand, 100 gallon tank, all the sump and refugium parts, T5's and a MH with chiller,water,LR,clams,coraline,soft coral,LS, and 2 stars,EVERYTHING.It's currently working and I pick it up today. $350.00 for the whole thing.I am stoked