I love this but is it actually live rock?

sj022698

Uaniva- said to be a type of tonga. I have heard 2 things about this rock but I would like to confirm them.
Link deleted says in its description that it is made of mainly "table Acropora skeletons"
Does this mean its not live rock? Does that mean it's just a dead coral?
On Link deleted they say that
Tonga Uaniva (pronounced "juan-eeva")is also marketed as Kaelini
Isn't Kaelini not as "holey"? Don't they look different?
Thanks,
Justin

T

thomas712

sj022698
I'm sorry to inform you that the host of this site does not allow links to competitor sites like the ones you posted. We try to keep this site an add free zone for many reasons.
To answer your question. The first is nothing but dead coral skeleton, the other seems like live rock which is calcium carbonate based. Both are really calcium based its up to you but I would prefer live ROCK myself, one that is porous.

sj022698

Sorry didn't know.
Both of them are talking about the same rock "Uaniva"
So, basically it is not "live rock"
I saw a beautiful rock??? at my LFS and it had great coraline growth on it and mushrooms but he said it was Uaniva. So, that means, it's not "live rock?

T

thomas712

Some times names change with the wind, when in doubt ask them if its rock or coral skeleton.
Personally I would get some good calcium cabonate base rock (rock that was one time in the ocean) for about $1.00 per pound, then some quality live rock to put on top of it to seed it.
Thomas

T

thomas712

From what I've seen on the net its rock, but if you want to carry the logic a bit further then it could be both, why? Because that is what a coral reef is made up from rock and coral skeletons. But from the samples I've seen it looks very much like rock to me.
Thomas