I need a thumbs up/opinions from you guys

maxx

Ok Ive done ALOT of reading,studying, and price shopping.I want to give you guys my list, and sceduele, and see what you guys think. Here we go:
60 gallon acrylic tank w/ built in filter A.K.A. "Aquasystem"
custom hood, with 2 96 watt PC's
2 301 powerheads (why 2? Just ask)
2 70 watt heaters (one placed in the heater chamber on the tank and the other on the inside of the tank)
1.5-2" of aragomax aragonite substrate
water from my local grocery store
45-50 lbs. Live Rock from this website.
Let sit until everything registers as O, except salinity which should be 1.021-1.023, temp 72-79 degrees. Then let the hobby begin :)
How is that this is all going down the 5th of Augest (cant wait) So PLEASE let me know if I should substitute anything for something else (maybe those heaters, they were given to me). So yeah any input is deeply appriciated. Thanks
Maxx

mr . salty

Sounds like you have done some homework.The heaters should be fine as long as they are good quality fully submersable ones...

tonga

sounds good to me, as salty said make sure they are a good quality heaters, I like ebo jagers.

dad

also sounds good to me. one question though;
why two heaters again? i feel only one would do the trick. i see you live in cal.
i live in oklahoma and have a 100g. i only use one and i bet it hasn't come on once in the last year.
i personaly wouldn't put the second in my tank. this isn't anything criticle, just an observation.
good luck and hope to see you around. ;)

amphiprion

It is better to have 2 underpowered heaters rather than one large one. If the large one malfuntions is can fry your tank. If one of the smaller one's malfunctions, it is underpowered and won't heat your tank to a critical level. Most reef tanks have the two small heaters, it's safer.

dugan

Totally agree with Amphiprion... and speaking from experience here.
My 35 crashed a few months ago due to one heater going haywire. It broke my heart as I had had the clarkii and gramma for years. The temp was off-the-thermometer high, felt like bathwater when I put my hand in there.
I will never run a tank with one big heater again.
Katie

I don't mean to scare away this web site
and other's costumers but you said you were going to order live rock on line.
First off you should do price checks at the local stores and you want good rock right?
If you buy online you don't know the quality of the rock and you can not specifically choose peices that suit your tank or plans of aquascaping.
For all you know you could be getting a lifeless, worthless piece of crap.
The picture desciption that web sites give does not change with every new box they sell.
Adam
[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Salisbury A D ]

maxx

ok then, email me a website with reputable LR. My LFS charges 7.50 a lb!!!! It would cost almost double for what I plan on paying. Im just going to have to chance it, that and when I aquascape THEM I'll buy at my LFS. For an OUTRAGOUS price

Maxx I was turning down all web sites that sell lr. I never said I knew of a reputalble site. You think 7.50 is expensive the lowest I could find without driving to Mass was 9.95. And I baught maybe the best pieces the store has ever had.
See buying online you could get forty lbs of one rock instead of many stackable pieces.
Also at a pet store the lr has been therer for days weeks or even months.
All I am saying is you will be able to pick out rock with life coraline and pieces that fit together in a complete mound.
No matter what the price on line you'll most likely match a pet stores price with the shipping.
Adam
Try price matching at more than ONE store.
[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Salisbury A D ]

maxx

You think after 6+ months of researching reef tanks I would only look at ONE website??? HA!!!!!

piscesblue

Sounds like you need to research LFS's also. Salisbury A D is just trying to help. I bought my tank from a LFS and he gave me my LR for $1 a pound. Your best friend in this hobby is a reputable LFS owner who is willing to work with you. I almost feel in debt to my guy, he's saved my butt more than once!
:p

maxx

I know hes just trying to help. And I thank him for doing so. I just like people making statements saying I dont do something, when I do. And like I said I've yet to see better prices for "over-the-net" LR. But I'm still looking around. Has anyone ever order LR from saltwaterfish.com before? I know my LFS guy and he wont budge on the LR prices. Thanks again for the help
Maxx

mal

I have bought about 90 pounds of LR over the net. I have had very good success with it. I got a few very large pieces, some large and many smaller. However, I do very much agree with Salisbury A.D., in that when I wanted some specific rock, I HAD to go to my LFS to get the shape and sizes I wanted. (They too charged me up the wazzoo) The store I went with on line was very helpful, I called and spoke to the manager and specifically asked for the kinds of pieces I got. Even then, if they sent me a bunch of crap, what am I gonna do? send it back FED EX on my dime? They did work with me for the most part. E-mail me for the link if you want. I have also bought much of my livestock with them as well.
[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: mal ]

@knight

I agree completely, There are many reputable LR vendors out there. and their LR can sometimes be better than the lfs as far as calupera and critters. ...but can come with more pest too.
When I built my tank I shopped around and got some pretty good deals. I wound up with 45 lbs of marshall island and vanisii live rock for about 130.00 delivered overnite. saved over 4.00 / lb by buying online.
as for the quality. i feel there is nothing to worry about. especially if you are going to be cycling the tank.

liongirl

I am going to order LR from this site in a few weeks.
I have done so much research and it is cheaper to by it from here (even including the shipping) then it is anywhere else that i've found.
Plus, I have heard NOTHING but good things about the products sold by saltwaterfish.com.
I would recommend ordering from them.
:)

the don

I HAVE ordered from saltwaterfish.com. and everything i got was in great shape, I have the best looking coral beauty i have ever seen, and the coral polyps i got had around 50 of them on one medium rock. I have ordered twice from this site, and cannot praise them enough for the quality specimens they sent me. Well, except for the arrow head crab lost its claws during shipping. Although i havent ordered any lr, im sure its top quality ----.

dugan

I got some beautiful LR off the net as well. MUCH better than the crap my LFS was selling at the time and even w/shipping it was cheaper.
Katie
dugan2b@hotmail.com