I need advice on some numbers

polarice18

I just spoke with a gentlemen from a store called Fish Doctor is Ann Arbor Michigan and he said that for a 55 gallon tank I need at least a pound of mixture of live rock and base rock for each gallon in the tank and for a mixture of 70% base and 30% live rock he said it would run me from 200-250 dollars, I have no idea if that makes sence, please someone give me some info

ajroc31

I don't think that it was a bad advice. Personally I have all lr. The advice he gave you is a cheaper way to do it. It is ok to do. Only thing I can say, add more lr. I think a perfect ratio is 1.73 pounds p/g. It also depends on lr you get. Some is better than other.

karajay

I doubt it should cost you that much unless you are buying the LR fully cured from your LFS (which IMO is usually a rip off). Check the prices online for LR and base rocks. You will probably find it to be cheaper.
Around 1-1.5 lbs. per gallon is about right. It depends on the density of the rock and the desired appearance.
:)

rockies

I get fully cured LR from my LFS for $7.99/lb for any batch over 10lb. So it sounds like you are being charged twice that.

beaslbob

It is good and common advice.
The truth is that no live rock and no live sand are needed. Play sand ($3.00/50 pounds) and base rock can be usd. If you have time and inclination you can even make you own rock from concrete for about $20.00/200 pounds.
Whatever you do I highly recommend you add plant life to get the tank established. $5.00 of plants will do more to establish the system than the lr and ls.