I need an answer please.... Bleaching sachem purigen media bag

psycho

Hey everyone my lfs said I could bleach my seachem purigen media bag and reuse it,.... However I did this and rinsed it very well.... When I got out of the shower all of my fish were dead.... All of my permitted are fine I checked them just a few min ago... Has anyone EVER known or heard of bleaching the seachem purigen media bag before? Or was he purposely trying to sabotage my aquarium??? Please help. :cry: :flame:

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho http:///forum/thread/386534/i-need-an-answer-please-bleaching-sachem-purigen-media-bag#post_3395836
Hey everyone my lfs said I could bleach my seachem purigen media bag and reuse it,.... However I did this and rinsed it very well.... When I got out of the shower all of my fish were dead.... All of my permitted are fine I checked them just a few min ago... Has anyone EVER known or heard of bleaching the seachem purigen media bag before? Or was he purposely trying to sabotage my aquarium??? Please help.

Well for beginners bleach is poison to all living things. Read the instructions
...it says you can rejuvinate the purigen by soaking in bleach..then rinse it and put in a container for 24 hours with a declhorinator...... That stuff you by for a goldfish tank that you add a few drops to make sure no chlorine is in the water.

btldreef

Like Flower said, according to the directions, it's safe IF it's thoroughly rinsed and placed in dechlorinator overnight. Personally, it's cheap enough that I just buy a new one as needed.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386534/i-need-an-answer-please-bleaching-sachem-purigen-media-bag#post_3395909
Like Flower said, according to the directions, it's safe IF it's thoroughly rinsed and placed in dechlorinator overnight. Personally, it's cheap enough that I just buy a new one as needed.
What a shame...Phycho, did you lose every singel fish? What about your CUC? I'm not at all sure how the live rock would be affected.
When I had my swimming pool we would pour bleach in it...shocked the pool. by next morning the pool would be clear as can be from what looked like mud.
The bleach however did not remain in the pool. If we didn't keep bleach blocks in the skimmer the algae and stuff would grow again. Also tap water has chlorine in it, but if you let it sit 24 hours the chlorine is gone. I used to keep gold fish and we let the jug of water sit overnight before using it.
So I'm not surprised your parameters are fine after the shock of bleach being added. That doesn't mean everything isn't dead from the shock. Those little beeds absorbed the chlorine and released it back in the tank overnight.

java1

What I like about Bang Guy:
1. His favorite toy is a toilet plunger
2. He made out with beth in sasquatch's forest
3. He terrorizes Mars
4. He is a [Fill in the Blank]
5. He turns my eyes into holes
6. He reminds me of BTLDReef