I need an ID please!!!

jake22

Are these things aggressive. Alot of them came on one of my pieces of live rock. Right now the piece of live rock is in my sea horse tank. Do these thing pose any problem to any inhabitants i might out in the tank?? there is a picture of one i found on the net below it looks exactly the same as the ones in my tank.

adrian

Nice picture, looks familar ;) they are called vermetid snails, they are not all harmfull, although I have noticed some corals can be irritated by their "strings" if they come in contact with the corals tissue. As far as I know they are scavengers and use that string to collect food in the water column and are desirable. HTH

jake22

thanks i was looking for a picture and i think that one is from you web site. I have atleast 12 on this piece of rock.

jake22

Right now in the sea horse tank are 2 sea horses 1 neon gobie and a couple turbo snails all of these should be fine right?

adrian

Can you give some info on the specs, water quality, and history of the seahorse tank?

jake22

it is a 20 gallon tank the only fish i have ever had in it are my 2 sea horses the neon gobie, 2 serpent stars, a couple turbo snails and an orange tree sponge, all of them are still alive. The water is perfect i checked it yesterday with 2 different fish stores and they both said everything was great. I have 18.8 pounds of live rock and i have a dsb. The water i used was from my lfs. Everything in the tank is eating and healthy. I just wanted to know if these thing would pose a problem with my horses or any future fish i might place in the tank. For filtration all i have is an aquaclear 300. This is the same set up i had on my first fish tank wich has been up for a few months with absolutely no problems.

adrian

The vermetid snails will not harm anything in your seahorse tank, like i said the only threat they pose is irritating corals if they come in contact with their tissue, other than that the only thing they will do is rob some of the phyto you feed your sponge;)

kmatysek

We have one of these guys that we discovered on our rocks. He is absolutely my favorite hitchhiker. I don't know how much time you've spent watching him, but ours reels in stuff off the bottom of the tank or rocks and over time has built up his outer-covering with large fragments of rock/shell. He also generates a good-sized pile of rejected rubble below him.