I need Help FAST!!

ledzep fan

Here is my problem, I have had this brown alage growing in my tank ever since it has been setup. My levels that I have check recently are as follows:
Salinity: 1.024
Calcium: about 400
alkalinty: Don't know exact #'s but says it is in low range.
ph: 8.6
Phophates: .1
nitrates: 20 last time I checked
I have no idea what kind of alage it is and how to get rid of it. I want to have the coraline to start to growing but it just hasn't started to. It is present in the tank because it is growing on my base rocks, but I would like it to spread everywhere else. My lighting is also MH with actinics that I run too. Please help!!
Some pics are attached to help..
Thanks in advance

fishyfrenzy

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
Here is my problem, I have had this brown alage growing in my tank ever since it has been setup. My levels that I have check recently are as follows:
Salinity: 1.024
Calcium: about 400
alkalinty: Don't know exact #'s but says it is in low range.
ph: 8.6
Phophates: .1
nitrates: 20 last time I checked
I have no idea what kind of alage it is and how to get rid of it. I want to have the coraline to start to growing but it just hasn't started to. It is present in the tank because it is growing on my base rocks, but I would like it to spread everywhere else. My lighting is also MH with actinics that I run too. Please help!!
Some pics are attached to help..
Thanks in advance
Do a 20% water change weekly, until it's gone.
It's not harmful. It's quite regular in new tanks.
Do you have crushed coral?

ledzep fan

No, it has been setup for about 3 years if not 4. I have sand not crushed coral... I am clueless as to what form of alage it is and how to get rid of it
It looks terrible

big-fish

if you want,,, you can cut back your lights 2-3 hours off from what your regular time is for about 2-4 weeks,, or until it is all gone,, i had the same problem and all i did was cut back my time and cut back the feeding amount,, also you can get a blenny or some snails to eat that stuff up

also do larger water changes

1journeyman

Not really any secrets to dealing with nuisance algae.
*Make sure you have good flow throughout tank
*Make sure bulbs are proper spectrum and not old
*Make sure you are using quality RO/DI water
*Do routine water changes

pyroreef

hey its called brown slime agae (like red slime only brown) its not really an agae its a bacteria that has similar properties as alge but it feeds of boath light, and organic material it uses both phosphates and nitrates to grow. decrease ur lights by about two or 4 hours. try some phosphate and nitrate remover as well as red slime remover. try to decrease your pH to about 8.3 and if you want coraline to grow try adding some puple up or iodine ive had succes with both

ledzep fan

Thanks for all your help fellow members
I will do what you guys have recommended and see how it goes. Thanks again

mak90

why do you keep bumping? youve recieved answers.
Do weekly water changes
ensure you have a good flow through out your tank
cut back on your light.
if its cyano make sure your using ro/di water for your water changes, and get a phosphate/nit. remover.
also make sure your siphoning/pulling out the "slime" dont just mix it up in your tank as it only adds to the problem.

mak90

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Not really any secrets to dealing with nuisance algae.
*Make sure you have good flow throughout tank
*Make sure bulbs are proper spectrum and not old
*Make sure you are using quality RO/DI water
*Do routine water changes
+1
no need to bump? ^ answers are there