I need help, I just started

dsanders

OK I really need help..I just got my tank up this past monday the 12 and got all the crushed coral in and water, as soon as we started dumping the water in it was SO cloudy...we did not rinse the crushed coral, we werent told and didnt even think about it.....well what i need to know is there ANY way to clear this up with out letting it just settle without taking all the water back out? any help would be great.....any thoughts please e-mail me dsanders1030@comcast.net
dsanders1030

ajroc31

I think that you should get rid of the cc while you still can. I would suggest that you go with sand. CC will cause your phosphate and nitrate build-up. the cloudiness will be there for few days so don't worry.

paige

Originally posted by ajroc31
I think that you should get rid of the cc while you still can. I would suggest that you go with sand. CC will cause your phosphate and nitrate build-up. the cloudiness will be there for few days so don't worry.

Why do lfs tell you that you need CC if it is so bad? That irritates me ALOT. I don't have the money to change things around after it's set up. They don't give that stuff away.
:mad:

wyldgunz

A lot of LFS do not have trained people to help you they are school kids looking for something to get them gas money and had a gold fish when they were 10. Crushed coral is cheap and easy to sell over the 30 dollar a 20lb bag live sand or more reasonable argonite.
Get rid of the crushed coral , get Argonite sand or something thats similar and fine .Steer clear of southdown sand ppl will disagree buts its still something thats new to the hobby and most people dont know its sand that the gravel pits cannot sell to anyone for agriculture because it is so impure... its second hand sand so why put it in your tank and risk the long run effects.

dsanders

this may sound stupid but is there a way to vacuum the sand to clean it without taking everything out of the tank?

wyldgunz

Definatly a no on that one. you dont want to vacucm up all your critters that live in the sand or disturb the lower layers it will set up its own cleaning routine