I need help...my poor fish!

ChristieC

Hello all I am new here...i read threads all of the time, but recently joined. I am having an issue with my tank, they have a sort of ich, I have looked at many pictures, but they do not look quite like the others i have seen. I can't get a good pic of my domino damsel which seems to be the worst.

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Christie, for some reason those pics are so tiny, even opening them up, that I can't see much at all. Can you get up larger pics, and/or describe in detail what is going on?

ChristieC

Christie, for some reason those pics are so tiny, even opening them up, that I can't see much at all. Can you get up larger pics, and/or describe in detail what is going on?
It looks a lot like Brooklynella, i have a Clarke Clown...he doesnt seem to have it but is not acting normal...he is very social, and seems to be hiding a lot. One eye is bulging on the black and white damsel, it almost looks like they have a "furry" coating. I noticed my trigger is now rubbing itself and i have seen one spot. What do i do?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had the clownfish? What are your water readings (ammonia, pH, salinity, temp, nitrates, nitrites)?? How long have you had your tank set up? Size tank, live rock, any corals, inverts?

ChristieC

100 gal has been set up for for just over thirty days ( moved from a 75 gal that had been up for 6 mos (previous owners had it for 5 years. we bought the tank and its fish established and moved them)
ammonia 0
PH 7.8
salinity 1.028 ( little high, bringing it down slowly)
temp 80
nitrates/trites no clue...

Have had the clown fish about 6 months. we have 9 fish in the tank (just lost a very large beautiful yellow eye tang and 3 weeks before that an enormous lion fish) we have one feather duster (Hawaiian) live rock, no coral, and a large amount of cleaner snails, shrimp, and crabs.

everyone has a healthy appetite, just started noticing the behavior issues a few days ago and today the ich (whatever it is) was prominent.

Water is clear no yuk on the live rock skimmer and filter doing a great job (as far as i know).

We adore our fish...they are people friendly and like to come out and say hello...but now they hide and rub...the only thing i have done different was was my husband added salt water instead of RO to an already high salinity tank. we removed some water and added some distilled water (all i had available) it wasnt enough so we used safestart (tetra) and two gallons of water to fill the tank back up.

i am sick...that they are sick

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you take a reading of nitrates, nitrites? Also, bring up your salinity to 8.0-8.2 range (depending on what you are using to measure salinity? Which is?)

Did the new tank cycle at all when you made the move? Very likely that the transfer to new tank is your problem for a whole host of reasons. Did you net your fish? Where fish out of water during the transfer?

ChristieC

Im sorry...salinity or PH up? To test the salinity we use instant ocean hydrometer, to test the PH and the ammonia (NH3/NH4) we use API test kits. I will bring up the PH...i assume that is what you are saying. As far as cycling..we moved everything from the old tank...nothing new was added...we did a partial water change...got "fuzzy" on all the rock it died and our cleaners ate it...

we used a net yes, but the fish never left the water, transferred to holding containers in the water then removed. Nets, clips and everything else that goes in the tank is cleaned before it touched the tank.

ChristieC

I will take my water to our local store and get the water tested tomorrow. We just tested about two weeks ago and the only thing wrong was the ph was a little low.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Christie, get all the test kits you need, and if you can, also get a refractometer to measure salinity, and learn to take your tests. Don't rely on LFS. Water quality can change very rapidly and if you don't have the ability to test on demand, you loose vital time that can effect the outcome of your pet fish.

We are here to help you no matter your experience level.

ChristieC

I will get the test kits, can you recommend everything i need to have on hand? Every test...thank you for your time

pegasus

When it comes to Ammonia and Nitrites, the cheap API test kits will work fine, since there should be NO detectable Ammonia or Nitrite in your tank. I would recommend a high quality kit for Nitrate. Salifert and Red Sea really make good kits. In the meantime, I recommend doing several water changes to be on the safe side.

Whenever you transfer stuff from one tank to another, there is always going to be a disruption to the biosystem. Stirring the sand can release hydrogen sulfide, laying rocks in a different position can cause die-off of microfauna, or any number or combination of things can happen. It's always best to transfer everything over to the new tank first, let it cycle, and then transfer the livestock. If your fish are suffering from a parasite or fungal infection, it likely wasn't caused from the move. However, less than optimal water conditions and the stress of moving the fish can weaken their immunity systems enough to succumb to a disease they might normally be able to ward off. Scratching is a classic symptom of parasite, which is usually Ick. Puffy eye(s) is usually a sign of popeye (exophthalmia), although the eye is usually grayed over, and not fuzzy. If you find spots that look like grains of sand stuck on your fish, remove them immediately and treat for Ick. Without knowing the cause of popeye, it can be difficult to treat. Poor water conditions can cause this, or it may come from a simple injury to the eye. Close-up photos (that can be enlarged on this site) will be very helpful in identifying your fish's ailments.

lmforbis

If it were me, when you buy test kits, I'd stay away from API test kits. I like Salifert kits.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I also like Salifert. They are up there with giving most accurate results.