I need help setting up 90 gal. reef!

reef dude

Hi guys, im not a very experienced SW fish guy. I've done freshwater and I even work at an aquarium that has a small SW section. Ive got a 90 gal. tank that needs to be setup. If i want to put live rock and coral in the tank, how easy is it and how long does it take for the tank to completely cycle? once i get the LR in the tank, how much longer after that until i can put the fish in, and if the tank is brand new, how would the LR survive? wouldnt there not be enough bacteria in there for them? If you have any suggestions, ideas, or answers, i would appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!

ren

The LR provides bacteria for the nitrogen cycle as well as hiding for inhabbitants and scenery. This bacteria is also in your substrate - CC or LS. The most prefered substrate is a DSB - 4-6 inches of sand. Not all needs to be live from the start- in a 90gl tank I'd suggest adding 40lbs live sand and the rest dry sand - add the LS last to the top.
IMO the best way to cycle a new tank is about 5-6 large raw grocery shrimp. Depending on the quality of the LR you are getting you would either add it for the cycle or after. I cycled my 54gl corner tank in 3 weeks using 4 large raw shrimp. I'll have my LR - excellent fully cured- next weekend.
I would suggest covering everything before you start as you are doing right now. Lighting/circulation/sump or refugium/ etc.
HTH
BTW welcome to the board!

dirtybilge

After you mix the right amount of salt in your tank ajust the PH add a powerhead, lights and skimmer you can add your live rock thats the way i did mine and it cycled in about 10 days tops. Also use a deap live sand bed!
ED
:p

kris

First it's never all that easy and it always takes a long time, and it certainly always takes alot of money.
If you still want to start this adventure (now would be the time to change your mind, lol)
Lr and Ls alone will cycle your tank for you, or you can also add a shrimp to help out. These will start the cycle. How long it takes varies I'm sure from tank to tank but you'll only know by monitoring the levels of ammo, nitrites, and nitrates daily. Ball park-4-6 weeks, but like I said go by what the tests show you.
The lr does not need to be "fed" persay and it will be just fine in your tank. Remember that for all the bacteria in the rock that consume wastes there are plenty of "creatures" on the rock that produce it as well, that is why it can effectively cycle your tank.
I hope I explained that ok, if not someone else can clarify, but you get the point.
First comes the water, then ls and then lr and then the waiting game. Good Luck with your new tank.

brian'sreef

i just posted on your other quiestion about the best tank best fish.. but here again.. everyone's got it pretty right.. i personally never add any thing but live rock and live sand to cycle tanks but hey it's all just your preference..look starting and keeping a reef tank full of corals and beautiful fish isn't as hard as some people make it sound..
if you take ur time..don't rush anything.. worst mistake in the hobby... and really really stay dedicated to it..you'll find it's something you can enjoy for the rest of you life.. after all one can never have too many tanks..IMO...just go slow do it right.. get all the facts.. this board will help you out a lot just post up questions. listen to those who give good advice.. and you'll be fine.. enjoy it .it's the best hobby in the world.. good luck
Brian