I need help with tank-55 gal

fastlane13

Hey every one..i know that for christmas im getting a new 55 gal salt fish tank and i need some help. How many fish do you think i can put in there if i build a community tank? What about a tank with a lionfish, grouper, eel, tang, and triigerfish..would it fit? Right now i have a ten gallon with a clown in it. It has a powerfilter. I cant wait till i get my big tank. PLease help.

gilpil

Most tangs need much more room, your trigger would nip at your lions fins, and a lot of those fish are high bioload. I agree check out this site and some others that list minimum tank size(there are at least two out there). Keep in mind that minimum tank size may not be good for the fish when they are fully grown. And also realize that this site might sell you a clown trigger that is about 3", but I have seen them the size of a football. Do your research, and go slowly. You will have time since the tank needs time to cycle anyway.

steveoutla

If I would you I would put a pair of mated clowns, maybe a yellow tang if you know how to take care of it, a blenny, a basslet, some gobies. You can really make the tank interesting by stocking up on the inverts for your clean up crew. Get about 10 starfish, a couple pairs of shrimp, about 25 scarlet hermits, 30 snails, 5 emerald crabs, a couple of feather dusters, etc. If you have the right lighting you can also get some corals and anemones.

fastlane13

Thnks for all the advice guys..umm im thinking of putting two black perculas that are tank bred..i want to mate them and then sell the babies to a local fish store....could i have 3 black clowns, 2 gobys, a blenny, 2 firefish, a marron clown, and 30 pounds of live rock? I would get all the fish as small as they come and i have the right stuuf for corals anemones and live rock.

fastlane13

Ok i found a pretty cool fish list. Im gonna get 50 pounds of live rock. A bursa trigger (a very small one). I heard they are compatable with a community tank and the are the least aggresive. Im gonna get two black percula clowns. Two firefish. A yellow Watchman Goby. A sailfin Blenny. And a coral beauty angelfish. I dont know if im getting a 55 gallon or 65. I think it would make a huge difference with the ten gallons but i dunno. Would the fish fit in both tanks?

greatfullreefer

Bursa Triggers need a minimum tank size of 80 Gallon with a 125 being much more suitable as they do grow up to 9 inches in length. They will eat the smaller fish you listed and will nip at any corals(not reef safe) They do need plenty of rock and swimming room so i am affraid your tank will not offer the space that one would need.

jenn-e

When you're thinking about fish you want don't think of the size they'll be when you get them. Think of the max. size they will get. They will grow and they will outgrow your tank if you get a fish that gets large.

dedwards

What most people don't realize is that fish don't grow based on the size of the tank. SW fish will grow until they get around their max length. Assuming that they can live in a crowded tank long enough.