I need help !!!!!!!!

badfet

Well here my weekly update, My tank is now in its third week of cycling. And there has been a small change in my levels, everything has come to normal except for ammonia. However it has gone down since I start the system (0.25). I took the shrimp out and tested two days later , and the reading was still high. Last week I added more LS*(20 LBS). 55 gal, 2 402 PH, Berlin PS, wet/dry bio balls filter, 300 watt heater, 55 LBS LR, 60 LBS LS. My Protine Skimmer is not on right now, but I was reading and it said that the skimmer can go in the tank or in the slump. Which is better?, My pump in my filter sometimes blow air bubles, like its not sucking enough water, can this hurt my tank or fish when I get some? theres a water line in the slump, I filled it up to that line and it evaporated quickly, I believe this is causing my pump to pump air bubles, should I continue to fill my slump or something eles is causing this problem? Well I will continue to keep you all posted, thank you very much !!!!!!!!!!!

eng50

You probably started, or extended the cycle by adding that sand and rock...it will come down again.
I like the skimmer in the sump, hidden below the tank, easier to clean etc...
I assume you have a sponge in the sump after the wet/dry/bioball combo? if you do the water level should be at the top or slightly over the sponge. You will have considerable evaporation yes, I have about 1 gal a day. I made my sump bigger-20gal so I have more reserve, so I don't have to add water every day.
And yes, the bubbles are probably from the pump sucking air as it is probably close to the water surface. I wish tey made sumps with a "deep end" for the pump!!
HTH, Regards,
Bill

mr . salty

The one thing I see wrong to me is that 300 watt heater..That is a bit overkill for a 55...Immagine what would happen if it was to get stuck in the ON position( this happens alot)...Your tank would overheat and kill everything in an hour or two...You would be much better off with a 200,,,or two 100's...This way if one was to malfunction,it would take quite awhile for the tank to heat up to killing temps,thus allowing YOU time to catch the problem...