I need input please!!!

tinalouise

Hi, I'm new to the group but I've followed it for a while. I just bought a lunar wrasse and he is playing dead (I hope!) He was swimming very happily at the shop but when I got home he was laying on the bottom of the bag, upside down. I acclimated him as usual and finally decided to let him into the tank. There is no way he could have died that fast so he MUST be playing dead!! Have any of you experienced this before or am I just nuts and he really died that fast?? Thanks for reading and would appreciate any advice!

snakeblitz33

Hi. Welcome to the forum
Usually wrasses hide immediately. If you can see gills moving, he should be fine.
Wrasses "cocoon" themselves in a homemade bubble at night and sleep in the sand.
Keep an eye on him. Sometimes I put a wrasse in a tank and don't see him for a couple of weeks.

tinalouise

Thanks for the advice but he didn't make it. I actually kept him in the tank where he seemed to be content after reading that the lunar wrasse has been known to play 'possum' for up to three days. When I woke up and he was floating I figured that was a little extreme for playing possum
I gave up and now the protein skimmer is doing it's job. When the shop owner was taking all of the rocks out of the tank to catch a fish I knew I should've backed out but I felt bad for him so didn't. My mistake, will go down to Knoxville or order off of the computer from a reputable dealer from now on.

jay0705

Wrasses are weird fish. My fairy wrasse looked iffy in the bag. I was worried for $55 fish lol but he survived. He also survived jumping out of my tank!!!!! How he found the only 2 inch gap I have no idea. Xmas wrasses are gorgeous fish but have a horrible shipping record aswell.