I need some bubble algae help please

todj2002

hey guys. i need to know if this will work to get rid of bubble algae. i saw a few bubbles on one of my rocks about two months ago, and i didnt take care of the problem when i should have. anyway it just about completely covered and entire rock in that time. today i took the rock out and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with some tank water, scrubbed the crap out of it and rinsed it with tank water. it is a very porous peice and i cant get all the bubble algae. if i leave it in the 5 gallon bucket with tank water and the lid on with no light for a few days or week, scrub and rinse it again - will this kill off the algae??? without the light it should die off - correct??? i am ordering an emeral crab also to try and prevent a futher outbreak. tks in advance for any thoughs or suggestions.

flower

Originally Posted by TODJ2002
http:///forum/post/3217940
hey guys. i need to know if this will work to get rid of bubble algae. i saw a few bubbles on one of my rocks about two months ago, and i didnt take care of the problem when i should have. anyway it just about completely covered and entire rock in that time. today i took the rock out and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with some tank water, scrubbed the crap out of it and rinsed it with tank water. it is a very porous peice and i cant get all the bubble algae. if i leave it in the 5 gallon bucket with tank water and the lid on with no light for a few days or week, scrub and rinse it again - will this kill off the algae??? without the light it should die off - correct??? i am ordering an emeral crab also to try and prevent a futher outbreak. tks in advance for any thoughs or suggestions.

LOL...I thought you WANTED some bubble algae.

Anyway the emeralds will get all the baby bubbles that crop up.

rlablan

Beware of the emeralds... Sometimes they will really help but other times they get a little overzealous and their little craws will actually pop the bubble clusters, cause a lot of spores to spread and you will have more clusters before you know it.
I am not sure about a good way to kill it but I have had it in the past (not TONS though) And I have removed the rocks and manually removed the clusters with tweezers. No spreading, and it has not returned.
Good luck

flower

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3217961
Beware of the emeralds... Sometimes they will really help but other times they get a little overzealous and their little craws will actually pop the bubble clusters, cause a lot of spores to spread and you will have more clusters before you know it.
I am not sure about a good way to kill it but I have had it in the past (not TONS though) And I have removed the rocks and manually removed the clusters with tweezers. No spreading, and it has not returned.
Good luck

With a good supply of emerald crabs the popped bubbles are food for the future. They must pop the bubble to eat it, they can't eat it in one piece. They get so hungry they eat the bubble algae when it is tiny and you never even see them, unless the emeralds die off....then you see the good job they were doing.

rlablan

Makes sense.
I would suggest ordering more than 1 emerald crab them. I would get atleast 3. Emeralds also eat hair algae. They are quite good at it.

todj2002

thanks for the responses guys. i will get more than one crab. u think the rest will die off in the bucket with no light for several days though?

todj2002

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3218204
I would say its worth trying.
here is what I am seeing online. This seems like a really good tool. Use it to identify which Algae type you have.
http://netclub.athiel.com/algae/algae.html
thanks for the link. it was informative. im going to leave it in the dark for awhile and then put it back in the DT after i get some emeralds. it seemed to me that it was spreading pretty rapidly. i dont want it covering my rocks. they are all perfectly algae free and it was a long hard road to get everything looking this way. but i paid about 35 dollars for the rock so i want to get it clean.
i will let it sit in the dark then scrub it again and rinse it..... and hope for the best.