I need some help adding a 2nd clown to my tank.

woody189

I used to have 2 Ocellaris Clowns, but one recently jumped. It was the smaller of the two so i assume it was the male.
I plan on getting a new clown, and I'm going to go w/ a black and white Ocellaris clown.
My question is, should i get a larger or smaller one?
I know that I shouldn't get the same size, but am I better off getting a smaller one to keep my current clown the same s.ex or should I get a larger one so my current clown isn't too much of a bully?
My current clown seems to be slightly more aggressive lately. I'm not sure if it was picking on my smaller clown which stressed him out and made him jump. Or it may have been because I recently switched to Mh's and don't have dawn/dusk, so maybe the clown got scared when the lights came on and jumped.
Anyway, should I go smaller, larger, or whatever I want?
Thanks

tonysi

You can go larger or smaller-me personally I'd go smaller.Some types of clowns have been known to jump from open top tanks.I guess just try not to spook them.

pezenfuego

I added a smaller one and had great success. I planned on taking the larger one out, rearranging the rockwork, adding the new one, and then putting the old one back after a few hours. This however didn't end up working out too well. Clownfish are terribly hard to catch. It might be hypocritical, but I suggest using this method when adding a new clown.
Good Luck to you...and you can't go wrong by going small is all I want to say.

woody189

Ok I'll be sure to do that.
And no chance adding 2 additional clowns, right?
I would love to add 1 n.aked clown, and 1 black and white to my current ocellaris.
I should probably choose only 1 right?

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by woody189
http:///forum/post/2989302
Ok I'll be sure to do that.
And no chance adding 2 additional clowns, right?
I would love to add 1 n.aked clown, and 1 black and white to my current ocellaris.
I should probably choose only 1 right?
Yes, only one for sure. I would also not recommend getting a different type. Sure na.ked and b&w are the same species as standard ocellaris, but it just simply isn't a very good idea. If you want you can try it, but if it doesn't work out, you better have a plan for the fishy.
Good Luck!

woody189

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/2989336
Yes, only one for sure. I would also not recommend getting a different type. Sure na.ked and b&w are the same species as standard ocellaris, but it just simply isn't a very good idea. If you want you can try it, but if it doesn't work out, you better have a plan for the fishy.
Good Luck!
Thanks. I thought I would be okay, since they are both Ocellaris'. I've read positive things, especially about mixing orange, and B&W's. I'll do some more research though. thanks again pez

jazztap10

B&Ws and orange ocellaris are the SAME species!
you should have no more difficulty with a B&W and an orange, then you would have with just 2 oranges. I had this exact same question a while back and being a genetics major i went all nutso doing research about it, hehehe. since they are the same species, you can also mate a B&W with an orange.

dschwartz

how long would you say it normally takes after adding a new, smaller clown to the older, larger clown that they get along happily and the larger one stops picking on the little one so much.
At what point do you say enough and think about removing one of them? We are going on over a month now and they still don't seem to like each other so much - more tolerant maybe, but definitely not a pair.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by dschwartz
http:///forum/post/2990455
how long would you say it normally takes after adding a new, smaller clown to the older, larger clown that they get along happily and the larger one stops picking on the little one so much.
At what point do you say enough and think about removing one of them? We are going on over a month now and they still don't seem to like each other so much - more tolerant maybe, but definitely not a pair.
If the larger one is just nipping, then it's fine. If the larger one is taking chunks out of the smaller one and continually harasses him, then you need to take it out. If you think one will kill the other, take it out. Now, this may sound cruel, but eventually they'll get along and some times you just have to clench your fist, close your eyes, and wait. It isn't animal cruelty either, this is nature. Good luck with your fish. Some times just taking them out, rearranging the rockwork, putting the small one in and introducing the larger one a day later would help.
Good Luck
I've never had any experience with mixing clowns. They ARE the same species as we have both said. I remember reading an article about how mixing morphs of the same species will reduce the chance of them getting along and pairing. If you feel you want to try it, I support that. It isn't a bad decision, but without a back up plan for the new fish if it doesn't work, I wouldn't recommend it.

dschwartz

Thanks - I'll try to be patient. Maybe I'll look into your suggestion of removing both, re-arranging and then putting the smaller in first...
David.

woody189

THnaks for the additional answers.
My clowns were my very 1st fish. I got 2 at the same time, and the larger picked on the smaller a lot. I took the larger one out w/ the net, put it in a separate container for about 30 mins, and replaced it.
Right away, they got along and were inseparable, until the smaller one jumped of course.
The larger did pick on the little one, but nothing too crazy.