I Need Some Help>>>

jden092901

I have a 120 gallon reef that im setting up in 2 weeks. I have a few questions for you.
First, I need a return pump. My tank is drilled with a 1" drain hole and 3/4 return. I was thinking a mag 18 would be best. My tank head height is 6ft high. Would a mag 12 or 18 be best? I read that with a mag 18 and a 6ft pump height it would pump 1,125 GPH, which would be turning my tank over 9.5 times. What size of pump should I get (GPH)?
Second, how much live rock and sand would I need? Would a 125lbs not be enough for a 120 gallon?
Thanks everyone....
Joshua

mopar9012

I cant answer on the return pump stuff. Try the DIY section.
Im upgrading to a bigger tank and Im learning that stuff too.
As for rock I think the general rule of thumb is 2LBs per gallon.
I have a 29 with 60-65 pounds of live rock. I have a 65 in the works and plan on putting 100-120 pounds in there depending on how I want the aquascaping to look.

jubbin2001

From what I understand a 1" bulkhead can do around 800gph. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think if you have a Mag 18 on there you are going to have to run a ball valve with it to regulate your flow or your drain might not be able to handle the water that pump is throwing at it.
Personally I use and Oceanrunner 2500 and love it. Yeah it's only 600gph, but that's why I have powerheads so I can redirect flow in my tank. How I look at it is: All I care is the pump gets my water from the 30g fuge underneath to the display tank. After that, I don't much care, except I need it to be drained back to the fuge. I have enough water movement from the power heads to cycle the water around before it moves back to the fuge, so I am not just cycling already cleaned water.
If it were me, I always would rather go a little under than over. The pumps are a bit cheaper, and there is no added cost/work of adding a ball valve. I am sure some people will think I am crazy, or I don't have a clue, but that's ok, we all have our own preferences. Just my $.02.

bigal0221

I am not really sure on the pump. I would say that 125 lbs. live rock should probably be sufficient but the more the better as far as biological filtration is concerned. What type of filtration will you be using? Typically you would want at least 2" sand bed or even deeper if you prefer a deep sand bed. I have a 6 ft. long 125g and I used 125 lbs. live rock and 150 lbs live sand and my sand is about 2-3" deep. Good luck.

pezenfuego

The more the better would not be a good idea imo, 2 pounds per gallon is a tad much. Fish need room to swim don't forget.